DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   O2 sensors- how much??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105889)

Maddevill 02-27-2012 04:36 PM

O2 sensors- how much???

So, I confirmed I have 4 O2 sensors and my mechanic said that according to his vendors they are $102 EACH!!!!:Wow1: Does anyone have a line on better prices? And I cannot use the "universal " type.:smiledown:

Thanks again,
Mad:smiley_thumbs_up:

eryk 02-27-2012 07:32 PM

they are like $60 a piece at autozone

snrusnak 02-29-2012 01:45 PM

They vary by vehicle, I've seen them as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $150. Most fall in the middle somewhere.

Why do you want to replace them? The 2 downstream sensors are likely a different part number than the upstream sensors, also. The 2 upstream sensors are the only ones that would cause a real running issue.

Not to knock mechanics, but many of them don't understand how the system works. Often times it can even not be a faulty O2 sensor but something else making the sensor through a code.

You have a check engine light? What's the code?

Maddevill 03-01-2012 12:19 PM

O2

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 736887)
They vary by vehicle, I've seen them as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $150. Most fall in the middle somewhere.

Why do you want to replace them? The 2 downstream sensors are likely a different part number than the upstream sensors, also. The 2 upstream sensors are the only ones that would cause a real running issue.

Not to knock mechanics, but many of them don't understand how the system works. Often times it can even not be a faulty O2 sensor but something else making the sensor through a code.

You have a check engine light? What's the code?

I have a code "0300" which is "random misfire" which tells me nothing. The truck runs good but every once in awhile it will drop a couple of cylinders, the check engine light starts flashing and it sets the code. You drive it and it will suddenly fix itself. So, I heard that a bad O2 sensor can do this so maybe I'll just change the 2 upstream ones.
Thanks for the info.:smileup:

Mad

snrusnak 03-01-2012 12:21 PM

I highly doubt that's a faulty O2 sensor. Sounds like a pcm since it's random.

Maddevill 03-01-2012 12:44 PM

But, if it was a coil wouldn't it throw a code for the cylinder that was misfiring? Not a random code.

snrusnak 03-01-2012 12:45 PM

Yeah that's why I edited my post after thinking more about it, I don't believe it could be a coil. More likely pcm. I have never heard of an O2 sensor causing a misfire.

snrusnak 03-06-2012 09:02 AM

Did you figure this out?

Maddevill 03-06-2012 12:55 PM

Well..

I had the oil and spark plugs changed, he read the codes and cleared it. and told me to drive a specific time at specific speeds and come back to the shop. All is good so far and it easily passed smog. So, I guess I wait until something goes bad enough to stay bad. I am going to change the upstream o2 sensors.
Thanks for the help!:smileup:

Mad