DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   JL 13TW5 -- Opinions? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=107565)

LT suss 03-15-2012 01:32 PM

JL 13TW5 -- Opinions?

I am getting the new system put in this weekend, and I originally had the shop putting in two 12w6v2's, but they just called and said that they'd need like a 4" spacer for those, so they said to go with two 12w3's or 13tw5's.

I told him in really more of a hip hop listener and stay at the deep, low end of bass, so asked which would give me the better low end I'm looking for. He said that the TW5 basically sounds like the 12w3 but more dynamic and better SQ, so I went with that.

It'll be installed in a custom box under the back seats with 600w per sub off an MMats 6100.

Anybody running two of these subs have an idea of how I should expect this to sound? My old car was a camry with an old school kicker comp solo baric 15" ported sub in the trunk gettin 500w...and it thumped. Will these live up to that old sub?

Thanks for the help.

MoparMike10 03-15-2012 09:31 PM

I can't speak to the 13TW5, but I've owned several pairs of the 12W3s and loved every bit of them. In my opinion, just about every JL sub sounds great given the proper enclosure. They are very clean, produce deep bass and sound good across a wide range of music genres.

I am interested to know what you think of the 13TW5s if that is what you settle on. Having never used a shallow mount sub, I am curious now that I have to fit some bang under the rear seats of my Ram.

LT suss 03-15-2012 11:18 PM

Thanks for the response.

I ended up going with the two 13TW5's. The guy at the shop said it basically sounded like the 12w3 but with a little better SQ. I'm still kind of hesitant about how deep it'll really be, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm having them tune them low, too, so we'll see.

I'm picking up the truck tomorrow afternoon, so I'll let you know how it goes.

There will also be some Hertz Hi Energy XL comps in the front getting 150w a piece, so there's plenty to look forward to.

laidback 03-16-2012 01:38 AM

So how do they sound? I just got done putting in the Hi-Energy component sets in the front and rear. Both 6.5". Put in the amps and then ended up blowing out my old sub. It was a 10w2v2 (pair) and they were very nice but about 11 yrs old. Searching for new subs now. You get the stuff from Audio Itch?

LT suss 03-16-2012 10:30 AM

I'll let you know after I pick it up later how it all sounds...just sitting around now waiting for the call.

Got it all from Soundwaves off Adamo Drive in the Tampa/Brandon area. They seem like great guys over there, but I won't be able to speak on the install until later on.

CdnoilRAM 03-16-2012 11:36 AM

One thing to be aware with the W5, it is EXTREMELY sensitive to the box size. You literally have a 1-2% window from the recommended volume to make it sound good. I thought long and hard about upgrading my stealthbox to work with the W5, but with the very narrow window I decided againsts it as my 13W3 sounds good enough.

LT suss 03-16-2012 11:40 AM

I appreciate the heads up. All I can really do is hope that the shop does me right on this one. If it sounds jacked up, at least I'll know where the problem could be and can address it if I need. I think these guys are good though and have dealt with these subs before.

LT suss 04-06-2012 11:49 AM

Just an update: They ended up going with the 12W6's in a custom box. I had an issue from day one as the emblem popped off the face of the sub, jackhammered the speaker between the seat, and cracked the sub. They just got a replacement in from JL and popped in right back in.

So now as it sits I've got 2 JL 12w6's, a MMats 6150D amp, 2 Hertz Hi Energy XL components, Stinger roadkill in the speakers and doors, and an Alpine W910 touchscreen nav HU.

I'll post some photos this weekend.

laidback 04-07-2012 01:01 AM

I decided to try re-foaming my old 10w3s after installing them temporarily in my old box from my F250. They blew after 10 minutes. I got the kit off of Ebay for $30 and 2 hours later I was done. I got a "Fox Box" as a lot of other folks here raved about them. I have to say it is a really good looking box and it sounds really good so far with the 10's in it. I wonder what kind of difference I would get out of the W6's but the price to wonder is around $500-600 for the pair...not worth it to me since what I have works.
Jon

liljohn30 04-07-2012 02:44 AM

i got 4 jl 82w3v3's,2 in console and 2 under seat ,hit like tyson back in the days