DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   engine swap (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=107851)

CamoBoy34 03-18-2012 02:25 PM

engine swap

ok for starters i have a 2005 dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 auto tranny with a 4.7l V8. i have had nothin but problems with this motor in the past few months and im getting tired of the 4.7l. i am thinking about swaping in a 318. i figured someone out there would atleast have an idea of what all it would take and what i would need for this swap. i know i will need a new ECU for the 318 if it is fuel injected. would the 318 bolt up to my auto tranny that i have right now? i got to thinking would a fuel injected or carb. motor be better? if i go fuel injected i would keep everything the same just change the motor. if i go with a carb. i would probably go with a 727 with all the goodies. whats your opinion on the fuel milage for both and what would you do if it was your daily driver?
any input or sugestions will be appreciated

thanks

CamoBoy34 03-18-2012 07:31 PM

ok i made up my mind a little bit. if im going to do the 318 swap it will be a carbed with a 727 tranny. im just gonna get all the electrical stuff out of it. all i need to know is if the motor mounts will be the same or am i gonna have to buy different ones?

HemiLonestar 03-18-2012 10:50 PM

Good luck making it run right...I'm guessing you got it used? Your best bet here would be to either replace it with a fresh one that way you can maintain it from the get-go, or rebuild the one you have. Either way, it's easier to install performance enhancements while the engine is out. What problems have you had?

CamoBoy34 03-19-2012 12:09 AM

i have had the truck for just about 2 years now and everything was fine untill the end of last year. i had head gasket go out, then i had the cam gear spin on the cam shaft, then a timing chain tensioner blew apart and this last time i had a rocker pop out and the cam crushed it on the lifter and screwed it all up and then it bust one of the caps that hold down the cam. im not to happy with the 4.7 right now. i think my step dad convinced me today that i should just fix it and trade it off right away so i can get my cummins i want. plus my sisters jeep has the 4.7 and it spun a rod bearing and a guy in my john deere tech school has a 4.7 and it is starting to shit out on him right now

HemiLonestar 03-19-2012 12:46 AM

I would fix it just to trade it in on a hemi, but a Cummins (thank for not calling it a 'Cummings') works too.

snrusnak 03-19-2012 03:22 PM

Swapping to a 318 I think would require computer, harness, trans, mounts I'm pretty sure. BIG job. Plus you'd be going backwards with power and mpg. The 4.7L isn't crazy powerful but I believe puts out as much or more than the 318 and gets better fuel economy while doing it. Go to carb and mpg will be even lower.

I'd swap to another 4.7L or rebuild/fix your current one, they are not bad engines at all, actually very good engines.

IF you're set on a swap, swap to a hemi. It will bolt to your current transmission. It would be an easier swap to a more powerful engine that still probably gets better mpg.

HemiLonestar 03-19-2012 03:45 PM

318 and non-HO 4.7 are about the same, 4.7 is a better truck engine. 318 is actually a good revving small block for lighter vehicles (cars and Dakotas).

CamoBoy34 03-19-2012 10:16 PM

ok update on my truck i pulled the head off to take it in to have it fixed and i found what caused everything. i had a vavle seat pop out and everything went down hill. so if anyone is lookin for a good parts truck here is one I'll sell it to you. cuz thats what im doing with it im not even gonna bother fixin it. and yes i will be gettin a cummins im very fond of them

HemiLonestar 03-19-2012 11:22 PM

If you weren't so far away I'd be interested.

CamoBoy34 03-20-2012 09:51 PM

damn (and i just found out you have to have at least 15 characters per post ha)