DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   6.7 Help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=107894)

cruiserhead 03-18-2012 08:52 PM

6.7 Help

I finally decided to take the jump from gas to diesel. I traded in my 2011 1500 CC Hemi for a 2012 2500 CC cummins. I'm not impressed, and the mileage is no better than the Hemi.

The biggest thing I tow is a toy hauler, the Hemi pulled it just fine but the weak coil rear springs just couldn't handle the tong weight, even with air bags.

I've been reading through the forums and it seems the DPF delete is what is needed, but I'm not ready to void the warranty yet.

What's a good programmer that I can use to increase mileage. Power isn't a priority yet, I just want to be able to remove the programmer and take it in for service without leaving tracks.

I was thinking about the diablo sport extreme power puck. Anyone have any experience with that programmer?

qracker4lyfe 03-19-2012 07:51 PM

Smarty is the best programmer for any cummins power plant. Until you do that dpf delete, you will be unhappy with your cummins. After the delete, you will notice increased mileage, hp, tq, and you wont be breaking down everytime the dpf clogs up. Dont forget to the delete the egr too

cruiserhead 03-20-2012 12:03 PM

Smarty huh, I don't think I've heard of that one, thanks.

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing is do the DPF delete and I'll be happy the the cummins but I'm concerned about voiding the warranty.

Thanks for responding

Waldhof 03-27-2012 06:22 PM

I'm sort of in this same situation. I have the 2011 3500 with the 6.7 diesel and if I'm lucky I'm getting 16mpg unloaded w/cap on the bed. Recently its started running about 16.8 on the interstate, again unloaded. Loaded with either the cargo trailer or the flat trailer it drops to 13 and 14 respectively.

I, too, have been told about programs that improve things but have concerns about warranty - not to mention potential damage or other problems. I do need the power, and with diesel still climbing in price, I need the mileage.

Smarty? I'll have to check that out. How hard are these to install/remove and what happens with the warranty (I'm already over 20K miles with the truck being new in August '11).

thanks

CdnoilRAM 03-27-2012 08:54 PM

Smarty is a good choice, but for the 6.7L the H&S programmers have an edge in the performance category. The biggest thief of your mileage is the emissions equipment and the need to superheat your DPF during the regen cycles, which uses raw fuel to do so.

For your warranty, you'd need to remove the programmer and set the programming to stock before taking it in to the dealership for servicing.

cummins rt 03-27-2012 09:02 PM

I run the h&s minimaxx on mine and am seeing 18-20 highway, 12-13 while towing my 19' enclosed. Smarty or h&s is your best bet for the 6.7 but with either it wont matter if you take it off before warranty work cause the dealer can till it was on there if they dig deep enough. Also if you do go with a programmer, it's likely your trans will fry if you run the larger tunes. My trans went out at about 55k.

skinnysfd 03-27-2012 09:48 PM

Also talk with your local dealer or who you bought it from because alot of dealers are "delete" friendly mainly because most of the warrenty issues have been because of the dpf and egr systems. Running a diesel at 1300+ during a regen actually hurts the motor more. H&S mini maxx is the way to go and as stated above make sure you do the egr delete as well.

Waldhof 03-28-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cummins rt (Post 761440)
I run the h&s minimaxx on mine and am seeing 18-20 highway, 12-13 while towing my 19' enclosed. Smarty or h&s is your best bet for the 6.7 but with either it wont matter if you take it off before warranty work cause the dealer can till it was on there if they dig deep enough. Also if you do go with a programmer, it's likely your trans will fry if you run the larger tunes. My trans went out at about 55k.

Wait . . . what's that about frying the transmission???? :smiledown: Not optimal. What causes that 'cause the bump in mileage (18-20) isn't worth a transmission.

BTW - does it matter if I have an automatic?

What are these things that are deleted? Does it make the engine run louder? What happens without the emissions stuff?

Thanks

George

cummins rt 03-28-2012 07:24 AM

Mina is also an automatic, these transmissions can't hold much more than stock power. I was running the biggest tunes with a larger turbo which caused mine to go so soon. I'm sure it would have lasted longer had I takin it easier. I'd recommend to get the overdrive tune from h&s if you do go with there programmer. It'llgive the trans a better chance of surviving.

These 6.7's do get a bit louder with all the emmissions deleted but nowhere near as loud as the older 5.9's. I've had mine deleted since 14k miles and have 70k now. There are a few dealers that are ok with deleted trucks and will still warranty them but a lot that aren't.

dodge man 04-05-2012 01:59 PM

I see a lot of posts on this board, and a Cummins board I frequent, complaining of fuel mileage. I own an early 2004, quad cab, 4x4, short bed with 4.10 gears. I get about 16-17 mpg at best, and if there is a lot of in town driving, I get about 14-15 mpg. My truck also has a leveling kit on it, which doesn't help, but the tires are stock size. The 2003 and early 2004 are considered by many to get the best mileage of the common rail engines. They don't have any real emissions equipment on them. But I still don't consider that really good mileage.

Someone posted that there 3500 is getting the same mileage I am. To me that sounds good. The 6.7 makes more power than my 5.9. I've read forums where people claim to get really good mileage, but I doubt many of these claims. These trucks are heavy, have poor aerodynamics. My truck gets about 1 to 2 mpg better than the GMC, regular cab, 1500 gasser I traded in on my Cummins. This amazes me because my Cummins weighs about 2300 pounds more, sits higher and still gets better mileage.