DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   LED third brakelight (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=107911)

pacmann 03-19-2012 01:27 AM

LED third brakelight

I bought an ebay led third brakelight for my Ram and installed it, but the red leds stay lit they are real dim but, they come on super bright when the brakes are hit. The cargo lights also stay on for like 15 min. after the doors or unlock button are hit. Do I need a resistor or something?

ONOutdoorsman 03-19-2012 01:45 PM

What wire did you use to hook up the aftermarket led light? The cargo light will come on when you unlock the truck. It will shut off when you start it or after a certain amount of time. I'm not sure if that lenght of time is configurable in the EVIC display.

stubie82 03-21-2012 09:00 PM

When I installed my RECON LED 3rd brake light, my cargo lights stayed on very dim. I had to install a resistor and it fixed the problem.
I'd do with the resistor.

pacmann 03-21-2012 10:32 PM

Stubie82 what size resistor did you use?

ffemtroberts 04-14-2012 02:45 AM

My cargo LEDs do the same thing, stay on very dim. I would like to know what size resistor as well, but being an electrically inclined individual, I have lots of resistors just lying around, do I'll do some trial and error and see what I come up with. I'll report back here with my findings for everyone.

Update: 100 ohm 1watt resistor, one side to one wire, other side to the other wire, in other words, wired in parallel to the bulb

stubie82 04-14-2012 11:35 AM

My resistor is a 6 Ohm/ 50 watt.

misfit1981 05-14-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubie82 (Post 756420)
When I installed my RECON LED 3rd brake light, my cargo lights stayed on very dim. I had to install a resistor and it fixed the problem.
I'd do with the resistor.

My buddy just bought the 3rd brake light from Recon, this one came with a resistor already soldered on. But, the cargo lights wont shut off. He's contacting Recon tomorrow, but any suggestions?
its a 2012 Cummings 2500

whiteknight312 06-27-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffemtroberts (Post 776259)
My cargo LEDs do the same thing, stay on very dim. I would like to know what size resistor as well, but being an electrically inclined individual, I have lots of resistors just lying around, do I'll do some trial and error and see what I come up with. I'll report back here with my findings for everyone.

Update: 100 ohm 1watt resistor, one side to one wire, other side to the other wire, in other words, wired in parallel to the bulb

that's not good that they did not place resistors in the setup. You also need a Diode on the other wire to prevent reverse voltage. the LED will Burn out fast if too much reverse voltage hits them. I do this on my Model railroad lights as people told me to do.

Chris

stubie82 06-29-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit1981 (Post 1098449)
My buddy just bought the 3rd brake light from Recon, this one came with a resistor already soldered on. But, the cargo lights wont shut off. He's contacting Recon tomorrow, but any suggestions?
its a 2012 Cummings 2500

Hmm, sorry I didn't see this sooner. Any luck for your buddy? Recon's pretty good to work with, in my experience. I didn't know they now come with a resistor already on now. I guess the figured Dodge wiring needed them. Makes it easier than getting a new light then waiting for a resistor you didn't know you needed.

I don't know other than talk with them. Good luck