DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Line-X or the DIY method? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=107984)

MadSoul87 03-19-2012 06:52 PM

Line-X or the DIY method?

So I got quoted for $900 to do Line-X on my rocker panels and bumpers.. I can pick up a kit from Dupli-Color for $80 though and do it myself. Anyone have experience doing this kind of thing yourself and have some tips or is it recommended to fork up the money and have the pro's do it? Trying to save some money in this mod, but if it is safer to go the expensive route then I guess I will have to suck it up.

starquestbd22 03-19-2012 11:26 PM

I have been doing a lot of reading on this topic myself lately because I want to save some money by doing a roll-on bedliner instead of a spray-in. I don't know that I can completely answer your question but here are my thoughts based on what I have learned.

First off, Line-x is good stuff....probably the best actually. I very seriously doubt you would ever have to worry about it cracking, peeling, etc. And I may be wrong but doesn't it have a lifetime warranty?

Second, most people seem to agree that the roll-on or self spray-on stuff is okay for looks and light use but will not hold up to the abuse that a professional spray-in will. Of course, your bumpers and rocker panels shouldn't really be seeing that much rough contact I wouldn't think.

So my thinking is if you plan to keep the truck a while and don't want to worry about what it may or may not look like in a year's time and you have the money, you can't beat the Line-x. If you just want something to make it look better right now but can't justify the $900, go with the DIY method.

And most importantly, if you do go with the DIY method, a couple of things....everyone seems to agree that preparation of the surface is the absolute #1 key to a good looking, long lasting result. Also, I would recommend Herculiner over the Duplicolor stuff. Herculiner has the rep of being the best DIY stuff out there and if you search you will find tons of people who say the Duplicolor stuff is totally worthless. The price difference is extremely small. I will be putting Herculiner on my bed in the next week or two. Good luck!!

Grumpy 03-20-2012 10:20 AM

I'll agree with everything mentioned above except for the Herculiner part. Herculiner is not that great. First, it has rubber bits and looks pretty ugly in areas out of the bed. Also, the rubber bits make it harder to clean. Third, Herc is aromatic and fades FAST unless you paint it. So, if you go with a DIY, go with a product that won't fade and does not have rubber bits in it.

LINE-X Xtra or LINE-X Premium (neither will fade) is the best and you probably will never be disappointed with the best.

MadSoul87 03-20-2012 08:01 PM

Lookin more and more like I am going to be going to Line-X.. Still.. $900 seems a little much for the rocker panels and bumpers.. Maybe not I dunno. Guess taxes need to get here soon!

riggz 03-23-2012 04:25 PM

Try to find another dealer. I had my bumpers sprayed on my 2004 F250 about 5 years ago and it was under $250. $900 is like spraying two entire beds. They aren't using that much material for rocker panels and bumpers.

Hemiblack 03-23-2012 11:49 PM

Hey Starquest, let me know how the roll on bed liner goes. I've been thinking about doing it myself. After dropping $$$ on all the mods I've done so far I don't think I could justify the price of a spray on to my financial advisor, aka my wife. :-)

MadSoul87 03-25-2012 02:53 PM

Think I am going to be springing the DIY mod here soon so will guinea pig this mod for everyone. So stay tuned either here or on my build thread in the next week or so and we will see how this goes lol. Believe though I am going to look into u-pol raptor though. Have heard some good things about it and it is a spray system so will let people know more when I do.

skruface 04-01-2012 03:06 AM

I got my 2011 done up last year at a Line-X dealer. The best place to get pricing is at car/rv/boat shows. I got $200 off at a local car show - $575 to bet my 2011 CC box done *with* the ultra UV protectant and lifetime warranty. Can't beat that with a bat.

BradZ 04-01-2012 12:23 PM

I got my 2011 sport done last year with LineX for right around 6.

MadSoul87 04-02-2012 09:00 PM

Hm... I looked into the DIY ways and they come up to (with buying the good stuff and needed equipment) right around the same price as the Line-X.. soo damn if I ain't sure which one to get