DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   leveling kits... hard on front end parts?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108280)

dodgeboy360 03-23-2012 10:44 AM

leveling kits... hard on front end parts??

Hey guys just joined. I just bought a sage green 2012 big horn 4x4 I've been looking into leveling kits for this beast and I'm really interested I talked to the dealer as well they have no problem with it and the warrenty. But my question is are these kits super bad on front end parts such as ball joints and cv shafts.. Ext.. I'd only go with the 2" just wanna bring the front up so it dosent look like a 2wd and down the road get some mean tires for it. Any help would be awesome thanks in advance

Milla Gorilla 03-23-2012 11:06 AM

Well welcome to the forum. This place is full of knoledgeable ppl that are more than willing to help with your question or problum...well lets see.... I own a 2005 ram 1500 thunderroad. and i put a leveling kit on it....within the first week it moast deff found my weak ball joints and i had to replace them....After that its been about 5 months now and i havent had any problums. I did loose ride quality but the way she looks all leveled out is well worth it...But to answer your question yes it is rough on your front end parts because your changing the angle at wich everything was made to operate at..... But are you going to be replacing ball joints every time you turn around....the answer is no..... as long as your not beating your truck up everything should be just fine......If you decide to do it dont forget to post some pics......

1500ram12 03-23-2012 11:29 AM

I put a 2.5/1.75" rough country lift in my 2012 and have about 1000 miles on the lift now with no problems. I didn't notice any difference in ride quality. One thing you should know, there is a hit or miss problem with the 4th gen trucks. Some people who have leveled their trucks have had drive line vibrations in 4wd. I have not. From what I've read their is no rhyme or reason for why some do and some don't.

dodgeboy360 03-23-2012 12:11 PM

thanks for the info guys. And the truck is just for street daily driving mall crawling basically just like the look of it. So it won't be gettin beat up and wheeled at all maybe haul some stuff here and there but that's it. I have a 83 lifted ramcharger 360 4 speed that is my toy and weekend warrier. And yes ill get pictures if or when I deside to do it. Just nervous I don't wanna start screwing up this brand new truck only decent new truck I have ever had

goingcrazy 06-22-2012 09:13 PM

I have almost 21k miles on my '11 1500 sport 4x4 with no issues. I have the 2.5 procomp kit. I also don't go off road but I was tired of people asking why I got a 2 wheel drive instead of 4x4. I haven't had that issue since I put the leveling kit on. For the record I do roll on stock rims and tires too so I don't know if that affects the ride for the better or not.

joelwalls 06-24-2012 11:16 AM

i highly recomend the bilstien 5100 to level your new rig you can choose your ride hieght and they ride awesome

holydiver89 07-10-2012 01:13 PM

I'm sure since it's not a true lift kit with drop down brackets, the strut spacer forces the half shafts to be at a greater angle, I think i'll be going with the same kit as you though, you have any pics to post?

Tim28 07-14-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelwalls (Post 828115)
i highly recomend the bilstien 5100 to level your new rig you can choose your ride hieght and they ride awesome

I also recommend these. I did a lot of reading before making a final decision and this was definitely the way to go. Put on about 5k miles since, spent lots of time in 4wd at the beach and some snow and no rattles, shakes, or nasty nose down looks. :smiley_thumbs_up:

goingcrazy 07-20-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holydiver89 (Post 838693)
I'm sure since it's not a true lift kit with drop down brackets, the strut spacer forces the half shafts to be at a greater angle, I think i'll be going with the same kit as you though, you have any pics to post?

Even the Bilsteins change the angle of the half shafts. The difference is that the Struts will change the ride quality of the truck. I'm not saying it will change for the better or worse but you are replacing the stock strut so the ride will change. The spacer won't change the ride it just puts more room between the strut and the pocket it mounts to.

Here is mine with a 2.5" procomp leveling kit:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...esphone073.jpg