DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Someone shoot me... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108694)

SS4Luck 03-28-2012 06:24 AM

Someone shoot me...

Alrite it has been a long a painful week for me and i need venting.
i got a rather awesome deal(s) in the last 6 months on car parts, more importantly engine parts to re build my camaro. The build had gone back and forth and back and forth and finally everything had fallen into place.... or so i thought. Most parts were high end LSX stuff that i traded for traditional BBC stuff

The engine was built and was a TT BBC. Roughly 540 cubic inches, twin 98mm Precision turbos, 4speed lenco and all the bells and whistles to go along with them. The whole thing went together as flawlessly as a "custom" turbo engine could.... until we got to the dyno.

From day one it just wasnt wanting to cooperate, which was understandable. It is a beast of an engine and at best was going to be like a sorrority at that time of the month when ALL the girls were on the same "cycle", but after a few hours and not even getting the stupid thing to start, we started to get worried.

Fast forward a few days, it starts and idles and is broken in and ready for the tear down. Get it all apart bearings look good, everything looks good. Reassemble it and throw it back on the dyno.... wont start again.

WE get it started (day 5 on the engine dyno btw) and start making light power pulls. no timing at all on 30psi. awesome runs great. start putting some timing too it, falls on its face. okay no biggie. throw a little more boost and a little more timing, loves it...

over the next few days, everything is going awesome. Yesterday we were making final WOT pulls when disaster struck. Around 7200 RPM there was a problem with the BS3 controller, were talking milliseconds of no communication... and then it happened.... the backfire to end all backfires. We got the engine shut off quickly and initial tear down of the top end revealed no broken parts... but in those last few RPMs that we heard we could hear something not right through the dyno window. Were pretty sure it split the crank in at least 1 place(s). Were waiting till saturday for a full tear down but no one is too optimistic just from past experiences.

Ill get pics this weekend of the damage, but im pretty heart broken lol.

Oh well, on some good news the insurance finally said yes to paying to have my truck fixed so i will have a whole new passangers side and sport mirror soon!!!

jacksonsnorth 03-28-2012 07:06 AM

Man! That sucks big time, and I hear ya. I think we all have occasional days or 2 when things dont go right but for that many days in a row it sucks big time!! Today is one of the worst days of the year for me, its the day we lost my 28 yo Daughter to cancer. March 28th comes and goes since 2009 with not much happiness in my house. Usually a couple days before I start getting anxiety and after it follows with a couple of days of trying to remember that my 8 yo Grandson needs me too much for me to be in a funk. He is the thing that reminds me that nothing in life is permanent, including bad days. Cheer up young man, and I am rooting for your build success, life is too short it will work out. You always have good advice in this forum an it is a joy to read your posts if that helps you any. Just my .02 cents :)

GhostR1der 03-28-2012 08:45 AM

^^^ wow I'm so sorry for your loss.

One thing with building engines is the more radical you go the more PITA they are. Anyone can build an engine only certain people can build a monster that is reliable.

Excoastie 03-28-2012 08:46 AM

I'm not sure I understood most of what you said, but it doesn't sound like things went well.

Keep the faith, eventually things will work out, and they'll be that much better when they do

Exco

SS4Luck 03-28-2012 04:43 PM

Wow Jackson I'm sorry to hear that. Thankfully I have only lost my grandfather in my (in the grand scheme of things) short life and he was old an had lived a good life.

Basically for everyone else, I had a twin turbo big block Chevy break a billit crank in at least one piece on a WOT power pull. It took the crank and usually will take the block when that happens too.

This isn't my first adventure into the realm of race engines like this and is fairly mild in the "max effort" world being only 9.75:1 compression and lower lift.

I was hoping for roughly 1700 fly wheel horsepower and to have it pilot the car in the high 7 second quarter mile range.

GhostR1der 03-28-2012 06:40 PM

Holy sh*t batman 1700HP would be insane to bad when you get to that much you basically have a bomb your working with. One thing though it's just money I mean c'mon it can't be THAT much :FIREdevil:

SS4Luck 03-28-2012 06:53 PM

Haha thankfully I only have about 9K out of pocket into this build.

1700 is on C23 w/ meth injection. I was hoping for around 950-1100 on e85 w/ meth and if I dared to push it or was in a crunch 750ish on pump gas invade I was stuck somewhere and couldn't find e85/98.

I love boooooooooooost hahaha

snrusnak 03-28-2012 07:08 PM

I'm not a religious man, but I like to say that god made turbos, turbos make torque, and torque makes me smile :)

Sucks that this happened, but I'm sure you know that it comes with the hobby :) It's part of the fun :)

2011 ASSAULT 800 03-28-2012 08:41 PM

man sorry to hear what happened sucks when you put lots of time and effort into something just to have it go wrong so quickly.

brad12kx 03-28-2012 11:52 PM

Did you get a HP reading at the time it broke?