DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Loud, Windy Cab (at high speeds) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109339)

louiscon 04-04-2012 02:42 PM

Loud, Windy Cab (at high speeds)

I am totally baffled by this problem. When going at high speeds, the cab is extremely loud. It sounds like the window is down even when both are up. Nobody seems to be able to find where the wind/noise is coming from. Its a 1990 single cab.

I had a body shop guy drive with me, sadly it died on the highway (pickup coil busted), so we didn't get to do a full test but he thought it might rotted gaskets... or that the doors needed to be taken in. I don't know what he was talking about, but any Ideas?

It seems to be coming from between the doors and the dashboard (or that general area on both sides) but its really hard to tell.

brad12kx 04-04-2012 03:12 PM

Probable the door gaskets need replacement. Considering it's age, this is the first thing I would do. :)

CdnoilRAM 04-04-2012 07:22 PM

I'd vote as well on the door gasket as the most likely culprit.

Warlock III 04-12-2012 01:30 PM

I third the door seals. Try taking a piece of 1/4 inch nylon rope and tucking it into the gasket/seal and see if it quiets it down.

defiant 05-22-2012 11:57 AM

Go ahead and replace the weather stripping even if it's not dry rotted. They can flatten out over time causing them not to seal well, (noise) While your at it though check your door gaps, your door edge should not stick out past the edge of the fender, or the a-piller. The bolts that fasten the hinge to the door is what controls your in/out movment. You will want a helper if you want to adjust your door, (makes it easier for your first time) Your bolts holding the hinge to the body control the forward/back movement. Keep in mind changing the position of the door may require you to adjust the door in other ways, or adjusting the fender as well to make the gap right. I've spent up to two days on some cars to line everything up before painting ndepending on how bad it was. It's not that difficult, but keep in mind they gaps on older Mopars were horrible compared to new cars today, so dont shoot for perfection unless you want to grind and weld on the door edges.

cas390 06-29-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louiscon (Post 767800)
I am totally baffled by this problem. When going at high speeds, the cab is extremely loud. It sounds like the window is down even when both are up. Nobody seems to be able to find where the wind/noise is coming from. Its a 1990 single cab.

I had a body shop guy drive with me, sadly it died on the highway (pickup coil busted), so we didn't get to do a full test but he thought it might rotted gaskets... or that the doors needed to be taken in. I don't know what he was talking about, but any Ideas?

It seems to be coming from between the doors and the dashboard (or that general area on both sides) but its really hard to tell.

I had same problem with my truck (1990 single cab) I think I narrowed it down to the vents on the leading and back end off door. they have a black louver cover on them. I put tape over them and it seemed to quiet down the noise. but I had a hard time losing the doors without slamming them cause the air in the cab was locked in the truck and I had to crack the window to close the door easily.

i guess i just learned to live with the noise now.

GTyankee 06-29-2012 03:05 PM

an old trick is to use tape on the door seams, then drive it, you can do one door at a time for better access, or tape off both doors & climb through the window.
if you don't hear or feel anything, take SOME of the tape off & drive it again,
do this until you feel or hear the noise again

Most times it will coming from the leading upper edge of the door, from about the door handle height upwards.
If it is coming from the door, the rubber door seal could be the cause. Another cause could be the door adjustments. There is a 3rd thing that it could be, the upper portion of the door could be bent outwards & then it would need to be bent back to where it belongs, i did bend one back into place, but i don't know if i would do it again, it was an older 1956 chevy pickup