DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   changed my oil for the first time and...... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109345)

daggertats 04-04-2012 03:27 PM

changed my oil for the first time and......

it went suprisingly well. had nightmares about trying to remove the factory oil filter. my tacoma had one that i messed with for half an hr before it finally came loose and after reading a couple posts about tight filters i was a little leary to change my oil the first time . filter was tight for sure but it came loose after i was able to get a good angle to push the rachet really hard. ( i had a filter wrench that fits on end of filter and attaches to ratchet) worked alot better than i expected. only issue i had was the rubber gasket came off filter and was stuck on the engine but that came right off . just ment one extra trip back under the truck. while i was at it i dusted the engine bay too. wiped it all down with a little simply green and a shop rag. looks brand new :smileup:

Hemi1536 04-05-2012 08:48 AM

I heard of people having trouble with first time oil changes too. When I changed mine, I had no issues at all. Filter came right off and put the new one on.

huntergreen 04-05-2012 11:21 AM

amazingly tight oil filters on first oil changes is a common problem on ll brnds of cars and trucks.

mustang8918 04-12-2012 06:39 AM

Seems like all went well, congratulations on doing it yourself.

Heraclid 04-12-2012 12:24 PM

When I bought my Ram, I got free oil changes for the first year or up to 4 changes, whichever comes first. I had my first one done at 3,500 miles because the EVIC told me to, even though the owner's manual says every 8,000 miles (seems a little long to me, especially since the dealer almost surely doesn't use synthetic).

I prefer to do everything I can myself (like I did on my previous vehicle), but that one didn't have a warranty left when I got it and this one does.

Neatest oil filter setup I have seen thus far was on a Toyota FJ Cruiser I test drove. It's mounted up high in the engine bay, really accessible from under the hood and no need to get underneath the truck. Sticks up at a 45-degree angle, has a funnel like basin around it so you're not gonna drip it all over the place. I looked at SUV's first (before I saw the light :) ) and very nearly bought one, but thought the warranty was lame and the back wasn't quite roomy enough.

Maddevill 04-12-2012 04:01 PM

Tight filter

Harbor Freight has a oil filter pliers that works on many different size filters. It like a giant channel lock plier and only costs about $6.00:smileup:

Mad

daggertats 04-12-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclid (Post 775040)
When I bought my Ram, I got free oil changes for the first year or up to 4 changes, whichever comes first. I had my first one done at 3,500 miles because the EVIC told me to, even though the owner's manual says every 8,000 miles (seems a little long to me, especially since the dealer almost surely doesn't use synthetic).

I prefer to do everything I can myself (like I did on my previous vehicle), but that one didn't have a warranty left when I got it and this one does.

Neatest oil filter setup I have seen thus far was on a Toyota FJ Cruiser I test drove. It's mounted up high in the engine bay, really accessible from under the hood and no need to get underneath the truck. Sticks up at a 45-degree angle, has a funnel like basin around it so you're not gonna drip it all over the place. I looked at SUV's first (before I saw the light :) ) and very nearly bought one, but thought the warranty was lame and the back wasn't quite roomy enough.

i also had the 4 free oil changes but since oil changes are pretty easy and i cant stand waiting i went ahead and done it at about 3500 miles like you.......went to a full synthetic.

daggertats 04-12-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddevill (Post 775220)
Harbor Freight has a oil filter pliers that works on many different size filters. It like a giant channel lock plier and only costs about $6.00:smileup:

Mad

good to know.....thanks for the info