DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Mopar Oil Filter dripping oil (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109667)

thewagon 04-07-2012 11:59 PM

Mopar Oil Filter dripping oil

Hi,

I have the 3yr/36k mile service warranty (free when purchased the truck) and the last 2x when the truck was brought in for its oil change service, the oil filter was dripping oil 2k miles into the oil change.

Service done at local Dodge service shop.

Talked to the tech performing the services, says he's seen this on the RAM's and they typically torque it down a little more on the 5.7l motors.

I have a 2005 Magnum R/T with the same 5.7l motor and never an issue.

Has anyone with the 5.7 motor on their RAM had leaky oil filters? Assuming the leak is from the gasket side and not bad filters.

Truck now has 19.8k miles on it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Arth 04-08-2012 12:04 AM

Currently have 40,000 on my Hemi and have never had that leaky oil filter issue.

Granted I use Royal Purple filters and do my own changes but is sounds like a double gasket maybe???

GTyankee 04-08-2012 03:10 AM

Double gasket would be my first guess also

My '09 doesn't drip a drop, but i use a quality oil filter, WIX
Who makes the MOPAR filter is a toss up, might even be a Fram for all anyone knows
we do know that the oil at the dealership is a Shell oil product, PENNZOIL

jc4041 04-08-2012 03:57 AM

I've had it happen once....but I think it was due to the kid not getting it tight enough

daggertats 04-08-2012 07:43 AM

we had a cherokee once that when i changed oil the old filter gasket was still in place. upon starting to check for leaks oil shot out of filter area. i think if a double gasket was an issue your engine would have no oil shortly after starting it. maybe a piece of the old filter making it not sit right or maybe where it sits isnt perfectly flat? just speaking on my past experiences with a double gasket. good luck

dewright 04-08-2012 01:10 PM

I personally think the mopar filters are of poor quality. I would recommend Wix, Perolator, Napa (Made by Wix) or Mobil 1 which is what i use. I have had no issues with leaking filters.

hortence222222 04-08-2012 04:30 PM

I just had a long chat with my Dodge dealer and he assured me that the Mopar oil filters are made by Wix. We talked for an hour about oil and filters and he seemed to be knowledgable....

dgard61 04-09-2012 12:55 AM

Do my own oil changes and have used the Mopar filter twice, no problems with them. All the other changes I've used K & N or Mobil 1 Filters. Happy with all three.:smileup:

dkerr24 04-09-2012 09:42 AM

I've never had any problems with the Mopar filters leaking. Must have been a mistake make during installation. After the first oil change, I change the oil myself, using a Motorcraft FL-820S filter, which is a cross-fit for the 5.7L Hemi.

Darin

crusher 04-09-2012 11:59 AM

i had this problem once but it went back to the dealership and they change the filter and didnt had any other problem after

so maybe it was a bad filter or a bad mecanic guy