DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   T/C question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109847)

wilky70 04-09-2012 09:50 PM

T/C question

After waiting for more then 2 months the dealer finally got my replacement torque convertor in. I had been calling every 2-3 weeks for an update and they told me they were waiting for a new part number to issued that would address the problems Dodge has been having with our trucks.
I dropped the truck off tonight and asked what part number convertor they were installing in my truck, He told me R8051146AB and said the "R" meant re-manufactured.
Does this seem correct? has Dodge issued a new part number and are the parts re-manufactured?

roar84 04-09-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilky70 (Post 772662)
After waiting for more then 2 months the dealer finally got my replacement torque convertor in. I had been calling every 2-3 weeks for an update and they told me they were waiting for a new part number to issued that would address the problems Dodge has been having with our trucks.
I dropped the truck off tonight and asked what part number convertor they were installing in my truck, He told me R8051146AB and said the "R" meant re-manufactured.
Does this seem correct? has Dodge issued a new part number and are the parts re-manufactured?

Not sure on the numbers or the re-manufacture. When I had mine replaced in Feb. of this year the service advisor told me it was a new converter that they were going to put in. I checked my service paperwork from when I had mine replaced and it had the following information:

Installed RL051146AB : Converter: Torque Qty:1
Core Chg UL051146AB: REM: Converter Kit: Core Char Qty: 1

I hope this infomation helps. You have me wondering if I also got a re-manufactured converter.

readster1 04-09-2012 11:43 PM

I keep hearing about tc recalls how do I find out more about this issue I have a 2011 sport/long horn and was wondering how do I find out more about this??

Rammin88 04-10-2012 01:56 PM

I had the TC issue. They replaced mine with a re-manufactured one. To be honest, I'd rather have a re-manufactured one then a brand new one simply because a tech. physically took it apart, inspected it, and fixed whatever needed to be fixed. Problem with a brand new TC is that your orginal was brand new. What to say is the brand new TC isn't broken? Then if you keep hearing the griding noise the dealer will eventually give up and at the end say it is not the TC. Try to get a re-manufactured one, I've had mine in since summer of 2011 and haven't had any issues.

Q23 04-10-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readster1 (Post 772776)
I keep hearing about tc recalls how do I find out more about this issue I have a 2011 sport/long horn and was wondering how do I find out more about this??

There is a STICKY on this whole issue... its at the top of the 2011 forum

mustang8918 04-12-2012 07:03 AM

Always good to get some new info, re-manufactured it is then.

primo spaghetti 04-12-2012 10:20 PM

is this a specific issue only related to the 2011 with the 5.7?

TransEngineer 04-13-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primo spaghetti (Post 775445)
is this a specific issue only related to the 2011 with the 5.7?

No, the 4.7Ls are affected, too.

But as I've pointed out, this is only a noise issue, not a durability issue. The problem is rattle of the turbine hub spline when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully applied. Splines with too much clearance (backlash) can exhibit a "warble" noise (which I think has been best described as sounding like a Frisbee sliding across smooth concrete). The spline clearance will vary from converter to converter (due to manufacturing tolerances), so some are quiet and some make noise.

So if you get the noise and it annoys you, get the converter replaced. But if you have to really listen carefully to hear the noise, or aren't sure you even have it, then you don't have to replace the converter. It is not going to self-destruct prematurely!

Blackthunder 04-13-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransEngineer (Post 775658)
No, the 4.7Ls are affected, too.

But as I've pointed out, this is only a noise issue, not a durability issue. The problem is rattle of the turbine hub spline when the torque converter clutch (TCC) is fully applied. Splines with too much clearance (backlash) can exhibit a "warble" noise (which I think has been best described as sounding like a Frisbee sliding across smooth concrete). The spline clearance will vary from converter to converter (due to manufacturing tolerances), so some are quiet and some make noise.

So if you get the noise and it annoys you, get the converter replaced. But if you have to really listen carefully to hear the noise, or aren't sure you even have it, then you don't have to replace the converter. It is not going to self-destruct prematurely!

Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.

TransEngineer 04-13-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackthunder (Post 775661)
Transengineer-

I did have my TC replaced over a year ago. This eliminated the whining/grinding noise, but I still can hear the "frisbee" noise at times. That being said, with the splined part rattling around, would this eventually contaminate the TC by producing metal fragments/chips due to the sloppiness? Will this "frisbee" noise get worse? At this point it does not bother me enough to go through the hassle again with Chrysler and my dealership for a second replacement.

Thanks.

I would not expect any contamination issues. This spline does not get "ground down" in operation. If anything, there may be a slight increase in backlash (and thus, some increase in noise level) as the first few teeth that come into contact get peened down. But once the load is spread over more teeth, I would not expect any progression in spline wear (or further increase in noise).

We are not talking huge amounts of backlash here. We have found detectable noise with as little as .004 inch of backlash. That's why we went to a riveted design for 2012 MY - it eliminates the backlash altogether.