DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Plasti-Dip badges and Emblems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110009)

Hex 04-11-2012 11:41 AM

Plasti-Dip badges and Emblems

5 Attachment(s)
FInally got a chance to do some painting. I took off all the badges and the front and read rams heads. Used 2 coats of black Plasti-Dip and 2 coats of silver Plasti-Dip Metalizer. It adds a nice silver flek coat without losing the matte look. Got the help of the neighbor, who does car paint, with the removal, cleaning and reapplying. I know it sounds real simple to take it off paint and put it back on, but it's just my luck for screw it up so I wanted a professional to make sure I did it right. We finished late last night and it was raining this morning. Can't wait to see them in the sun, hopefully this afternoon

I wanted to get creative with the HEMI badges. So we taped off the 5.7 LITRE part to keep that chrome, and removed the black HEMI lettering with lacquer thinner. Than we taped the chrome HEMI lettering and painted it. So the HEMI lettering in reversed with black outlines and chrome letters and the 5.7 LITRE part is outlined in black as well.

I also removed the tape on the pillars between the front and rear doors. Makes a big difference. Gotta let that beautiful deept red pearl shine.

dodgert 04-11-2012 11:54 AM

Id personally debage it looks so much cleaner

Hex 04-11-2012 12:55 PM

I might in the future, but I wanted to try something differnt while I had them on. To each their own.

shostopper17 04-11-2012 05:56 PM

I second the de badged and keep the hemi badge blacked out at leas tthat s what i did to mine but still it looks good greast job

SJP2X11RT 04-11-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex (Post 774089)
FInally got a chance to do some painting. I took off all the badges and the front and read rams heads. Used 2 coats of black Plasti-Dip and 2 coats of silver Plasti-Dip Metalizer. It adds a nice silver flek coat without losing the matte look. Got the help of the neighbor, who does car paint, with the removal, cleaning and reapplying. I know it sounds real simple to take it off paint and put it back on, but it's just my luck for screw it up so I wanted a professional to make sure I did it right. We finished late last night and it was raining this morning. Can't wait to see them in the sun, hopefully this afternoon

I wanted to get creative with the HEMI badges. So we taped off the 5.7 LITRE part to keep that chrome, and removed the black HEMI lettering with lacquer thinner. Than we taped the chrome HEMI lettering and painted it. So the HEMI lettering in reversed with black outlines and chrome letters and the 5.7 LITRE part is outlined in black as well.

I also removed the tape on the pillars between the front and rear doors. Makes a big difference. Gotta let that beautiful deept red pearl shine.

Looks good....can't say I've even seen the DP Metalizer in the retail world.

Swaggerville Ram 04-11-2012 09:08 PM

I like it. A lot :smiley_thumbs_up:
I'm not a fan of de badging personally

mustang8918 04-12-2012 05:55 AM

That looks sweet. I haven't seen the metalizer in my area.

Hex 04-12-2012 08:06 AM

Thanx guys. It took me a while to track down the Metalizer. Lowe's tried to tell me that black was the only color plasti-dip sold in southern california. I found an online vendor called toolmarts.com that carries it and it turns out there there warehouse was not far from me. Hopefully today it's a bit sunnier than yesterday and I can really see this stuff.

Heraclid 04-12-2012 11:48 AM

Someone recently posted pics of this on a blue truck, and I really liked it a lot. They did the emblems but de-badged the doors and left the Hemi badge alone. I liked it a lot but the thing I was thinking I'd do differently is that I'd keep the Ram 1500 part and do it also, like you did, so thanks for posting pics of it! :smiley_thumbs_up:

The thing holding me back right now is that although I don't really want anything chrome-looking on my truck, it seems like the door badges would be a bit of a hassle, and getting it to match the silver color on the lower sections (of my otherwise black Outdoorsman) might be difficult (?), but it would look really nice if I could. Another thing is that I personally would not do this to the wheels, and I just can't spend the extra $ on a set of gunmetal or anthracite rims right now to make them match also.

Chunkem 04-14-2012 12:57 AM

Looks good.....Nicely done......