DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Chips for 2008 ram 4.7L (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110232)

Exxzaust 04-13-2012 09:13 PM

Chips for 2008 ram 4.7L

Im looking into a superschip more but open to options, if possible i want people with the chips installed already and not just going by hearsay. looking to spend 350$ tops, heard the flashpaq is good!

snrusnak 04-13-2012 10:32 PM

For the 2008+ 4.7L you can't touch the performance of the superchips tuners. I have the flashpaq, and love it.

Moose612 04-14-2012 08:04 PM

Snrusnak is correct. I used to own a 4.7 and the flashpaq is amazing

20ram08 04-16-2012 04:47 PM

I had the Superchips flashpaq in my 08 4.7 and I barely noticed a thing. I bought it mainly to try and help out gas mileage, but it actually made it worse...and no I didn't drive more aggressively. I tried several setups, including the 87, 93, and mileage xs tune. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but it's hard to notice a 10-20 hp gain on such a heavy vehicle. Does anybody have a programmer that actually works to increase fuel economy?

snrusnak 04-16-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

I had the Superchips flashpaq in my 08 4.7 and I barely noticed a thing. I bought it mainly to try and help out gas mileage, but it actually made it worse...and no I didn't drive more aggressively. I tried several setups, including the 87, 93, and mileage xs tune. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but it's hard to notice a 10-20 hp gain on such a heavy vehicle. Does anybody have a programmer that actually works to increase fuel economy?
That's very surprising. Mine is like night and day. It's like 61 hp and 67lbft for that year on the 93 tune BTW. That's definitely noticeable, at least on my truck it is. Dropped a second in the 1/4 mile on the tune alone.

Exxzaust 04-17-2012 01:31 PM

thanks guys im going to keep an eye out for it! alot of people it tells me its bad for the truck because its putting extra wear on the truck, when they made the truck they started out the testing with alot of HP and then kept dropping it till they found a happy medium where it would last awhile, putting a chip into it is just gunna reck it quicker? is this correct or false

snrusnak 04-17-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

thanks guys im going to keep an eye out for it! alot of people it tells me its bad for the truck because its putting extra wear on the truck, when they made the truck they started out the testing with alot of HP and then kept dropping it till they found a happy medium where it would last awhile, putting a chip into it is just gunna reck it quicker? is this correct or false
That's BS. Not at all true. It'll only wear out faster if you drive it rougher/harder and beat it. All my friend's have either superchips, diablo sport, or hptuner's on all our cars and trucks and they all go 100,000 + miles before they sell them and never any issues caused by the tuners. This includes regularly running them down the dragstrip, and still no issues.

The only thing that MAY wear out faster is if you turn off torque management in the transmission on the superchips. It'll cause a little more wear on the transmission, not much though IMO.

snrusnak 04-17-2012 01:36 PM

Also, the hemi has 390 hp. It also is basically an identical truck to the same truck with the 4.7L(same transmission, rear end, etc.) so if adding 25-50hp to the 4.7L causes premature wear on the truck then the guys with the hemi are going to need serious repairs soon!

Exxzaust 04-17-2012 01:59 PM

that is a very good point! so chip it is! now cai intake, ith all your reading and what not which one would yuo say is best?

snrusnak 04-17-2012 02:15 PM

To be honest I don't thin any of them are really worth the money. I use a drop in filter and a tube down below the bumper and I bet it's nearly as good if not as good or better than the aftermarket kits. I'm working on making a ram air setup just is taking forever...