DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Shock help!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110419)

fourbz 04-16-2012 12:26 AM

Shock help!!!
 
I am looking to replace my shocks on my 04 ram 2wd and I wanted to know the best shock for my driving. I drive mostly on highway but I go up to deer lease which is really rough and I want some thing to make my ride SMOOTHER AND WILL NOT KILL MY WALLET . Which brand should I go with??

MONROE
KYB
RANCHO
GABRIEL

ramvan2500 04-16-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourbz (Post 777516)
I am looking to replace my shocks on my 04 ram 2wd and I wanted to know the best shock for my driving. I drive mostly on highway but I go up to deer lease which is really rough and I want some thing to make my ride SMOOTHER AND WILL NOT KILL MY WALLET . Which brand should I go with??

MONROE
KYB
RANCHO
GABRIEL

Well here is my break down. I use Gabriels. They do a good job and they're inexpensive! I tow a 32' travel trailer with a conversion van and the gabriel shocks do an extremely good job. I have to get new shocks for my rear end, they're peaking on 10 years old now.

Anywho, as far as Monroe which is what I had on the van when I got it. Monroe can be inexpensive and are very good too, I like monroe but I don't really use them anymore, they are somewhat expensive when it comes to truck shocks and you can get just as good a product from gabriel for half the price. One way or another gabriel gives you a lifetime warranty so you cannot go wrong!

I never tried KYB or Rancho, I have seen many trucks with rancho's and when towing they seemed to bounce alot and this is with people towing a u-haul. I never had any real reverb issues with the monroes with towing and the gabriels don't have to much reverb. Some reverb is good but if you are constantly bouncing it's not very nice.

bigdaddyII 04-16-2012 08:08 PM

Monroe for the smoothest ride. If a smooth ride is what you are looking for cross most of the Ranchos off of your list. I am running the RS5000s on my 02 and even the reflectors on the road you can feel the vibration. I love them though, makes my truck ride.......well like a truck.

ramvan2500 04-16-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII (Post 778040)
Monroe for the smoothest ride. If a smooth ride is what you are looking for cross most of the Ranchos off of your list. I am running the RS5000s on my 02 and even the reflectors on the road you can feel the vibration. I love them though, makes my truck ride.......well like a truck.

You should try gabriels if not already, I'm thinking bilsteins will give you the ride comfort of a car (less vibration) but give you the durability and stiffness of a truck, however you and I both know 100 per shock isn't very nice. I never tried bilsteins and probably never will unless I'm buying a BMW or Mercedes because that is a vehicle worth spending that kind of money on, truck isn't really worth putting 400 in shocks into because the gas alone so yea. Anyway's give gabriels a try if you haven't. I think they perform well and they are pretty inexpensive.

bigdaddyII 04-16-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 778123)
You should try gabriels if not already, I'm thinking bilsteins will give you the ride comfort of a car (less vibration) but give you the durability and stiffness of a truck, however you and I both know 100 per shock isn't very nice. I never tried bilsteins and probably never will unless I'm buying a BMW or Mercedes because that is a vehicle worth spending that kind of money on, truck isn't really worth putting 400 in shocks into because the gas alone so yea. Anyway's give gabriels a try if you haven't. I think they perform well and they are pretty inexpensive.

Yeah, Gabrials and Monroe would be best for the OP. Personally I love my Ranchos. Before I bought them I considered Bilstein, saw the price and exclaimed "F**K THAT" in an excited voice and that was that, on the Ranchos went lol.

ramvan2500 04-16-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII (Post 778174)
Yeah, Gabrials and Monroe would be best for the OP. Personally I love my Ranchos. Before I bought them I considered Bilstein, saw the price and exclaimed "F**K THAT" in an excited voice and that was that, on the Ranchos went lol.

I talked with a friend of mine and he and I agreed that Monroes are great for ride comfort but they don't last very long, the Gabriels are really good but the comfort not as good as Monroes. Then bilsteins are better for hauling and comfort. Gabriels are ok for towing but you want to get a truck shock. As far as ranchos I never tried them so I can't say anything same for the K something brand. But I can say I have seen many trucks with ranchos so they must be decent, I have seen there prices and they are up there with bilsteins in my book. One thing that interests me is the rancho steering stabilizer kit, was thinking of putting one on my van.

bigdaddyII 04-16-2012 10:49 PM

Ive never tried Gabrials on this truck, but I did on a previous car and it was close to factory feel. I have put Monroes on this truck for a few months before the Ranchos and hated them every mile, it made the truck feel like a old school Caddy sort of floating everywhere.

ramvan2500 04-16-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII (Post 778237)
Ive never tried Gabrials on this truck, but I did on a previous car and it was close to factory feel. I have put Monroes on this truck for a few months before the Ranchos and hated them every mile, it made the truck feel like a old school Caddy sort of floating everywhere.

Monroes aren't the best for trucks, most likely the ones you got weren't strong enough for a truck causing it to float like a cloud. But monroes are very cheap they have ones for 20 bucks ever less and thats retail price, they also don't last long at all. I'm surprised, they are made in USA...

Cobra7077 05-10-2012 01:23 AM

Monroe Reflex series shocks are for light trucks. I put a set on a 1998 Z71 reg cab and it made a huge difference in ride quality from the cheap moroe sensatrac shocks that i removed from it


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger