DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   is klasse AIO required before sealant glaze? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110513)

davewear 04-16-2012 10:49 PM

is klasse AIO required before sealant glaze?

My new truck should be here in a week or so. I plan to use Klasse Sealant Glaze as it will live out doors and I want the durability.

I'm planing to wash, clay, wash and then apply the sealant but I have read the all in one should be applied prior to the sealant. Is this needed on a flawless new vehicle that has been clayed? if so, why?

Thanks!

have a nice dave

M.Scipione 04-17-2012 03:25 PM

Sorry, those products are above my level of expertise!

Maybe Leadfootluke can give you some insight...

Leadfootluke 04-18-2012 12:58 AM

Oddly enough, I do use KAIO :)

It works very well to clean and prepare the paint, and in my experience. To answer your question, it is not necessary to prepare the surface, although it does help. A sealant, like KSG, needs to be applied to bare paint, or a surface prepped with KAIO, which leaves an acrylic type of protection that KSG can bond with.

With a new vehicle, I would wash, clay, KAIO [with a machine and a finishing pad if available], and KSG. After you apply KSG, consider layering it after a couple of days. There are very few sealants that will properly bond with itself, but KSG is one of them. To get the most out of KSG, layer it!

And for what it is worth, be careful with KAIO. Apply it on cool to the touch paint and remove it completely. When I started to use it, it smeared when I removed it, because I moved it to early.

davewear 04-18-2012 02:02 AM

alrighty, so ksg needs bare paint (clearcoat) to bond properly. makes sense. i'm thinkin a brand new vehicle that has been clayed is gonna have a pretty bare surface no? i can see the need for a cleaner of some sort on paint that has been around for a while but i'm really not thinkin there's a good reason for the added expence and time of a cleaner in my situation. thanks for the input!

Pull Ya 04-18-2012 02:27 PM

Deleted----------

Jayincali 05-09-2012 08:43 PM

If I'm using KAIO is kind of like a primer for KHGS, though not really needed for a brand spanking new truck. Mind you your truck wasn't just sprayed right before you took delivery. It was transported by rail, which kicks up contaminates and rail dust. After using clay on the finish, use the KAIO with finishing pad on a low setting; top it with the KHGS suing same method. I believe the KAIO will give the KHGS some extra bite to adhere to the finish. Depending on environment, you should be good for 6-8 months of protection.

davewear 05-12-2012 01:06 AM

Ended up using the kaio and the ksg looks awesome! Thanks all :)