DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Engine Cleaning (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Best Way To Wash Out Engine Bay? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110725)

Bordin 04-19-2012 09:37 PM

Best Way To Wash Out Engine Bay?

Hey guys, just curious how you guys wash out your engine bays?

I want to get all the winter salt/road dust out of that sucker, I don't want to spend 3/4 hours in there with a damn cloth because you can never get it all?

I know a lot of guys spray it down with a cleaner and then rinse it (keeping away from the plugs, well trying to I guess)

All comments welcome!:att:

RansRAM 04-19-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bordin (Post 780504)
I know a lot of guys spray it down with a cleaner and then rinse it (keeping away from the plugs, well trying to I guess)

^^^^ That's what I do, I put a plastic bag over the alternator and spray off everything else. The stuff from Can Tire works great.

pogster 04-19-2012 11:58 PM

I just use the car wash wand and keep it high so the pressure is not so great. Been doing that for 40 years without issue.

ramsport62 04-20-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogster (Post 780683)
I just use the car wash wand and keep it high so the pressure is not so great. Been doing that for 40 years without issue.

Ditto! Just not 40 years quite yet.

Bruce E 04-20-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogster (Post 780683)

Same here, but only for 30 years now.

CdnoilRAM 04-20-2012 10:50 AM

With a cool engine/bay, I bag the alternator and the intake filter (open CAI), soak the engine bay in spray-on Simple Green and let it sit for 10 min. Then I run the pressure washer on it's lowest setting, just so it's got a fan of water, rinse the entire engine bay. Once i've soaked the engine completely, I'll let it dry for 10-15 min then I douse the bay with Mother's Protectant. I wipe up the excess and then run the engine for 10 min to dry everything off.

ShawnC13 04-20-2012 11:21 AM

Wow some great tips here glad I saw this thread. Thanks guys!!! Will have to try this as it is getting that time where the weather is turning nicer now.

mopar09 07-11-2012 09:44 PM

I agree with ShawnC13! I do have one question though for anyone who can answer. Spraying the entire engine bay, does that not effect, or mess with sensors?

ArmyofOne 07-12-2012 02:19 PM

No, the sensors are weather resistant, sealed from the elements.

Think about it, when you drive through a big puddle it doesnt mess with your sensors, water is splashing all over the engine bay during puddle play.

Just cover the alternator (you dont even really HAVE to do that, but I do, its cheap insurance, and the open filter if you have one and spray to your hearts content.

immokalee98 09-01-2012 02:58 PM

This is a nice thread. I'm swapping my intake tomorrow and I want to shine her up when I'm all done.