DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Noisy diff? Or rear wheel bearings? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110739)

bigdaddyII 04-19-2012 10:42 PM

Noisy diff? Or rear wheel bearings?

Good evening guys. I posted this a couple other places and haven't received many ideas, so I figured I would try here. I have been having an issue with my 02 1500 2wd. I have a noise coming from the rear of my truck, it doesn't sound to me like the front wheel bearing did when it went out, but is sort of a high pitched whine. It starts at around 10 to 15 mph all the way up to whatever speed I am going to and all te way back down again. Here's a video I took of it today of me starting from a stop, going up to 60 and back down again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tVyumDjunY

I checked for slack in all wheel bearings, and the pinion flange. There is no movement, nor do I feel roughness or ear anything odd when spinning the tires. Also no sign of gear oil leaks from the pinion or wheel seals. Any ideas on what that could be? I guess it was sort of always there but not near as noticeable. It makes the same noise in reverse as well, though not as loud, but the engine is wound up trying to go 30 in reverse. Other things to note is that it's an open diff, fluid was changed maybe 5000 miles ago and RP 75w140 went in. Tires are 33" terra grapplers. The truck was aligned last week and I asked the tech to check it out and he told me it was tire noise, but it's now feeling like the rear end is as planted over bumps as it was before. Not a vibration just a looseness so to speak. Thanks in advance for any help or idea you guys could offer.

SuperiorStyles 04-19-2012 11:46 PM

i got the same problem right now its the pinion bearing and carrier bearings. Get it replaced and your done. no more noise

bigdaddyII 04-20-2012 06:41 PM

Im fairly certain by now after speaking with several shops today that it is either the pinion bearing or carrier bearings. Dosent matter, either way itll be about $800 to fix. Thats for both because it doesnt make sense to rip the gears out to change one and not the other.
The one variance that I have heard from one shop is the bearing in the tailshaft of the transmission, which would actually be cheaper to fix then one of the diff bearings. We will see Wednesday or Thursday when I get off of work.

THK 04-20-2012 08:29 PM

Just went throughthe samething as yours, bearings went to hell and the clips in the carrier did their bit of damage. All said $1,400 later for bearings, a new (aftermarket) carrier and labor, I was back on the road in 4 hours. I wish I had the extra dollars to get new gears. Have a little bit of a whine at 50 to 58 mph. before and after those spped all is quite.

Good luck.

bigdaddyII 04-28-2012 02:45 PM

Well, $869.00 later the beast if fixed. It was all but one carrier bearing. The noise was likely coming from the inside pinion bearing, but the rest were on the way out. So I cant wait to see how she drives now (cant pick her up until Monday) with all new bearing (including axle) and seals.

SuperiorStyles 04-28-2012 05:06 PM

Good to hear that. I'm gonna rebuild mine soon with new upgrades to make that Diff strong for my future upgrades. Let me know how it goes

bigdaddyII 05-01-2012 08:46 PM

I picked up the truck yesterday morning. No more whine, also feels like I have a little more pull starting out. All bearings and seal in the diff was replaced. The shop used 80w-90 synthetic gear oil though, which in my 2002 owners manual 75w-90 was specified. I know in 2003 that spec changed to 75w-140 after years of Chrysler Corporate 9.25 running 75w-90. Im still not sure of why they changed that, even after asking on various forums all I get is that synthetic is better (no schitt). I emailed Chrysler about it, so we will see what they have to say. I asked around about it while trying to find a shop to replace the bearings, and they all said (including the local Dodge dealership), that they would put in 75w or 80w-90 should they do the work, and that rear bearing problems never really materialized until 75w-140 started becoming more popular. Anyone have any input on this? RamTech?

IDK, Im going to leave what they put in for a while. They warranted everything for a year, plus I hate to throw away good fluid, especially if its within the trucks original spec.

dthonator 12-03-2012 02:03 PM

I am having a simular "whine" out of the rear end. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say carrier bearings. Is this the wheel bearing?

RamTech 12-03-2012 02:06 PM

A differential carrier bearing is located inside the housing and supports the differential carrier itself.

dthonator 12-03-2012 02:55 PM

anyone have a diagram of the '03 rear end?