DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   4 wheel low (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111008)

Ram quad 04-23-2012 07:37 AM

4 wheel low

I had the first chance to use my 4 wheel low since I bought the truck and nothing happened when I selected 4 low I just had a flashing 4 low light.
I dialed 4 low from a stopped position and expected it to kick in when I started moving.

Is this broke the first time I used it?

tison1200 04-23-2012 08:20 AM

Did you put the truck in neutral before switching into 4-low?

Black1 04-23-2012 08:30 AM

Is there a difference between using the neutral button and putting the column shifter to "N"?

tison1200 04-23-2012 08:39 AM

Yes the neutral button by the 4x4 selector is for when you or towing the truck behind say a RV. Go out to your truck and start it and put your column shifter into N then place the 4x4 knob into 4-low you will hear it engage and the 4x4 light will stay lit up and your traction control light will also come on. once it does shift your column shifter into drive. Complete the steps in reverse to shift back to 4x4 high or regular 2-wheel.

ridgerunnerseoinc 04-23-2012 09:44 AM

I use 4 low a couple times per week. It takes a little time to engage into and out of low 4WD. I sometimes put the truck into forward and reverse gear to help it lock in or out. Sometimes I just have to wait longer. Yeah, it can be annoying.:4-dontknow:

Black1 04-23-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc (Post 783003)
I use 4 low a couple times per week. It takes a little time to engage into and out of low 4WD. I sometimes put the truck into forward and reverse gear to help it lock in or out. Sometimes I just have to wait longer. Yeah, it can be annoying.:4-dontknow:

So does this mean if you get stuck and need 4low to get out it likely won't engage?

RAMROD5 04-23-2012 12:12 PM

why would you ever use 4 low to get unstuck? unless your towing 7000 lbs and are in the mud you would never need 4 low, i towed all over the place, rain snow ice etc, went wheelin in my 02 ram, never needed anything but 4 hi. i put it in 4 low once when i got the truck in three years just to make sure it worked, unless you are beatin the living piss out of your truck, or dragging a house, or climbing a mountainside, i never ever used 4 lo.

RAMROD5 04-23-2012 12:13 PM

and yea the trucks transmission must be in neutral to get into or out of 4lo

tison1200 04-23-2012 12:29 PM

I've only ever had to use 4-low once, and really the only reason I had to use it was because it FULLY disabled the traction control. I was stuck in snow that was upto the top of the bumper and my front tires were off the ground.

If you happen to get stuck 9 times out of 10 4-high will get you unstuck. just remember to hit the traction control button on the dash after putting it in 4-high otherwise the traction control will cut power from the wheels that are spinning.

dixiejwo 04-23-2012 12:37 PM

4 low is pretty much only used when pulling something heavy in less than ideal conditions. Think boat up a boat ramp, car out of a snowy ditch, etc. Perhaps climbing something slippery off road. It won't be a whole lot of use getting yourself unstuck.

When you use it make sure you go slow and go forward...