DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   hey guys give a new guy a hand? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111042)

99veesixxer 04-23-2012 02:11 PM

hey guys give a new guy a hand?

hey guys id like to introduce myself. im garrett i drive a 1999 v6 mustang.... now before i get flamed, my girlfriend drives a 2000 magnum single cab short bed, maroon in color. and shes havin some problems and i was hopin you guys could help me so heres a few of her problems that i cant figuire out.

- her truck jumps. when shes accelerating, it seems as if her transmission disengages and then reengages very violently.

- her truck keeps dieing on her and its not her battery i thought it was her starter or alternator? but she says its her transmission

also could her IAC or anything of that magnitude have anything to do with it? maybe a bad fuel pump?

well anyway i hope yall can give a hand thanks guys:wavey:

snrusnak 04-23-2012 03:25 PM

Welcome.

Are there any check engine lights?

99veesixxer 04-23-2012 05:04 PM

nope. just "skips" bad and its really upsetting her cause she got it for graduation from HS and its her baby

snrusnak 04-23-2012 05:08 PM

I assume you've checked transmission fluid level?

99veesixxer 04-23-2012 05:13 PM

yep. sure has...15 charaters

snrusnak 04-23-2012 05:17 PM

Well I really don't know about the transmission issue then. I'm no expert on them.

As far as the dying, I'd start by looking for poor connections, poor grounds, and cleaning the sensors at the intake (MAP, TPS, IAC), and a general cleaning of the throttle body.

snrusnak 04-23-2012 05:18 PM

I wonder if the torque converter clutch is locking when it's not supposed to. This would cause all the symptoms you described (jerky starts, dying, etc.).

99veesixxer 04-23-2012 05:25 PM

then i would need to get a new tranny? or have it rebuilt?

snrusnak 04-23-2012 08:48 PM

If it's the torque converter then you'd just need to replace the torque converter. I really don't know how you'd diagnose that though to see if that's the issue, just would make sense to me if it was that. Probably need to find someone else to chime in that knows more about those year trucks.

SnoopyIsMyHero 04-25-2012 12:46 AM

A little more information on the dying part might help. When does it die? At idle? Accelerating? Does it restart immediately?

As for the jumping part, I assume you checked things like the ujoints? Have you done a fluid\filter change? Hook up with ramvan2500 for possible transmission issues. You might also want to change the title of the thread to what your problem is, might get more people to take a look.