DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Help with installing Dual stereo in 2001 ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111068)

Jhock2012 04-23-2012 08:29 PM

Help with installing Dual stereo in 2001 ram

So I just got this truck about a month ago. I took the Dual stereo out of the my dodge I sold and tried putting it in this one. I just cut the wires from the stock stereo and used crimps to hook the wires up. I got all the speakers right but I hooked the yellow which shows that its the constant on the stereo diagram to the red and white. But it says that the red coming from the truck is the switch. I don't see a red wire. The only ones left are an orange one and a yellow/black one. But when I hook the red one from the stereo to the orange one on the truck and the yellow to the red/white the lights on the buttons stay on whether the ignition is switched on or not. I really need some help I have been thinking about this for awhile and I just cant figure it out. Below is a picture of the wires left over after all the speakers are hooked up. The only ones coming from the stereo are the yellow one with the fuse in it and a red one.

http://i.imgur.com/jyaQol.jpg

SnoopyIsMyHero 04-23-2012 09:40 PM

Swap 'em. Put the red to the red\white and the yellow to the orange.

This would be a great time to pick up a inexpensive multi-meter and make a test light out of an old bulb, a couple of 18" wires and some alligator clips.

Jhock2012 04-24-2012 02:38 AM

Ok.. So I forgot something. A big something. I was hooking it up to the pink not the orange which I forgot to mention. Heres what I found out....

Red with Red/White & Yellow with Pink- It works but the button stays on even if the truck is completely off.

Red with Pink & Yellow with Red/White- It works but presets reset after truck is shut off and is turned back on.

Red with Orange & Yellow with Red/White- Only buttons turn on.

Yellow with Orange & Red with Red/White- Doesn't work at all.

Excoastie 04-24-2012 10:27 AM

I'm thinking that the orange wire is for the illumination. If you don't bother hooking up the orange wire, then the lights on the radio won't dim when you turn on your headlights. Or if you do hook it up, find out which wire is the for the illumination from the truck harness.

I always buy the vehicle specific wiring harness when I change out a stereo system. It saves on confusion, and I'm able to wire everything up while sitting at a table, rather than bent over or under a console out in the vehicle.

What someone else suggested of getting a multi-meter is an excellent suggestion. You can pick one up pretty cheap (probably less than $10 but less than $20 for sure). This will allow you to be able to test if there is current on each wire, and when the current is flowing (i.e. ignition on/off etc).

good luck

Exco

ramfam 04-24-2012 02:37 PM

It would have been less agrivation to just buy install kit then it would have been plug and play. I had my sony done and buttened back up in 30 min.

Jhock2012 04-24-2012 05:39 PM

I know that the red/white is the ignition and the pink is the constant. when i hooked it up like that the button lights on the radio stay on. I know for a fact i have it hooked up right. I'm just completely stumped on this.

Pyroboy5000 05-01-2012 10:25 AM

ouch. you never want to cut the factory stereo harness if possible. you want to find a wire harness adapter. it makes life so much easier.

Jhock2012 05-04-2012 04:42 AM

I don't know.. I've always done it this way and this is the first time this has ever happened.

kylehite21 05-04-2012 01:34 PM

having the same problem, haha on my 2000 1500 bought a pioneer cant figure it out i hooked the red/white wire to the red in the new one and the pink to the yellow and nothin! tryed to reverse them still nothing