DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Torque Converter vs. Regearing 2011 Ram Sport (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111121)

bodhi 04-24-2012 11:33 AM

Torque Converter vs. Regearing 2011 Ram Sport

I have a 2011 Ram with the 3.55 gears stock. It is a 4x4 crew cab with only a leveling kit and stock wheels and tires. eventually going to remove stock 20's and put on 18's for better off road with the biggest tire possibility being 35's. Trying to decide between a Torque converter with a 2600-2800 stall or upgrading gears to 4.11 or 4.56. I tow a trailer from time to time but not that often, usually a boat. Mostly just looking for better offroad and daily driver torque. Which route would be better… would it hurt to go torque converter with slightly increased tire size first.

snrusnak 04-24-2012 12:40 PM

The biggest two things for you are cost and towing:

Cost - since you are 4x4 it will likely be ~$2,000 to do the gears(most people can't do this themselves). A good TC will only run you about $500-$600 and you can install in about half a day yourself.

Towing - a higher stall TC will kill your towing capacity. If you ever plan on towing say 4,000 or 5,000 lbs or more with that converter, you will be generating a lot of extra heat while doing so. You'd have to really monitor transmission temperature while towing with a high stall converter.

Actionjackson 04-24-2012 01:27 PM

I hear that 4.10 is the highest u can go with out some special machinen the the rear housing.like I said its just hear say I wanted 4.56 and told I couldn't.

snrusnak 04-24-2012 01:36 PM

^I believe that's kind of true. They changed the rear end slightly apparently I think in 2011, and the aftermarket gears don't fit right, you need to modify something. Someone on here posted that they did it and it wasn't a huge deal, but there was modification needed to go with the aftermarket gears.

TheBlackHemi 04-24-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 784025)
The biggest two things for you are cost and towing:

Cost - since you are 4x4 it will likely be ~$2,000 to do the gears(most people can't do this themselves). A good TC will only run you about $500-$600 and you can install in about half a day yourself.

Towing - a higher stall TC will kill your towing capacity. If you ever plan on towing say 4,000 or 5,000 lbs or more with that converter, you will be generating a lot of extra heat while doing so. You'd have to really monitor transmission temperature while towing with a high stall converter.

Yeah I'm almost positive 90% of the people couldn't install TC in half a day, especially since hes a 4x4. To even attempt this you definitely need the right tools:a tranny jack, a lift, air tools, and I'm sure a couple of people helping out. In your case I would shell out the extra dough and just regear because thats really the only true way to get your hp/tq back with such big tires IMO. Yeah but if you still need more after the gears I would look into a tq....I just had one installed yesterday (Circle D 258mm Pro II 2800 stall) and all I can say is my truck feels like a whole different beast but I'm the exact opposite of you (a 4x2 with 3.92s and looking to put a 2/4 drop).

snrusnak 04-24-2012 01:44 PM

^That's a good point I didn't consider it taking longer due to having a transfer case and extra drive shaft.

I'm installing my TC this saturday(2wd) and I'm not anticipating it to take more than 3 or 4 hours. I have a transmission jack, compressor, and a friend to help though. I think it'd still be very doable without a compressor though. The transmission jack is a must IMO just for the tilt functions. Even the friend isn't really necessary.

TheBlackHemi 04-24-2012 01:56 PM

Read this thread this should be helpfully, just copy and paste

http://www.ramf
orum.com/f76/diy-torq
ue-converter-install-196/

snrusnak 04-24-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks for the link but it is bad (probably another forum?). If you want to PM me it I'll have a look...thanks.

BlackRamHemi 04-24-2012 10:30 PM

A Higher stall torque converter is the WORST upgrade you can do for off-Road performance, especially on an undergeared lifted rig with larger heavier off road tires.

Your torque on the low end will be all but GONE, and you'll over heat and cook your transmission in almost any off road situation.

Gears for larger tires/off-roading/towing
Torque converters for Track/Street.

I was a hardcore off roader long before I started drag racing.

XC450 04-26-2012 03:04 AM

Agreed^^^^

I'll try to explain in a simple way what the differences are.

A higher stall torque converter allows your engine speed (rpms) to increase without the transmission gears turning. The purpose of this is to allow the power to be increased by way of higher rpms before the transmission begins transferring power to the rear gears. Basically your engine will rev higher, and it will give the feeling of your transmission slipping, before your tires start to turn. You are higher up into the power band before the vehicle starts moving.

I higher rear gear ratio allows your engine to turn faster, and slowing down the speed of your tires. The end result of a higher gearing number is that you will have to increase your rpms to achieve the same speed. This will usually reduce your overall top speed, but your vehicle will take off faster.

I hope this helps someone and I hope it makes sense.