DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Torque Converter problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111361)

wilky70 04-27-2012 09:26 AM

Torque Converter problems

I had my converter replaced 2 weeks ago because I had the famous drone/rattle. When I got the truck back the noise was gone but I now have a major shutter or vibration as it goes into MDS at around 90-100 km/hr. It also feels like it is searching for a gear or won't stay locked at lower speeds (50-70 km/hr) on flat smooth surface, like in stop and go traffic on the hiway.
Took it back to the dealer they test drove it with their scanner hooked up and said that the shutter is caused when the MDS engages at 90-100 km/hr, they checked that I have the most up to date software and said that there is nothing that can be done. He sugested I keep it in 5th or buy a programer to lock it out of MDS. The service manager says that as these trucks get older they start to do this. (this is a 10 month old truck with 5,000 miles on it).
The converter was replaced with part number R8051146AB, that number is not list on the Star case in the converter thread above. Is it possible they installed the wrong converter?
Is it possible that there is problem with the lock up mode in the new converter? Although the old converter was noisey as described in the Star case it didn't shutter, vibrate or struggle to stay locked as this one does.
The 5 minute test drive the dealer took wasn't the same as my 45 minute comute in all types of traffic. Locking it out of MDS mode doesn't solve all the problems, it reduces the shutter but it can still be felt.
I hope TransEngineer can describe how the lock up on these converters work and how the MDS effects it. I'm not ready to give up and trade it yet.
Thanks in advance.

TransEngineer 04-30-2012 09:26 AM

That converter number is probably RL051146AB, which IS the correct converter for a 5.7L truck (except the RT models). So I think you got the right one.

The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is a clutch inside the converter, which (when locked) eliminates any slippage within the converter (it connects the converter front cover [driven by the engine] directly to the trans input shaft). This improves your fuel economy. Unfortunately, it also transmits torsional vibrations from the engine to the driveline, so you'll hear more drones and low hums when your TCC is engaged. There is a damper (connected to the TCC), but it can't remove all the vibrations.

In MDS mode (where there are more torsional vibrations from the engine, since it's only running on 4 cylinders instead of 8), we partially engage the TCC, but don't fully lock it up. We let it slip at perhaps 30 RPM, which helps to reduce the vibrations transmitted to the driveline. If you tap the trans into ERS mode ("5"), MDS is disabled, and then the TCC will fully lock (at high enough speeds).

So the goal (of the TCC) is to obtain the best fuel economy. The downside is that it transmits more of the engine vibrations into the driveline.

wilky70 05-01-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransEngineer (Post 788494)
That converter number is probably RL051146AB, which IS the correct converter for a 5.7L truck (except the RT models). So I think you got the right one.

The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is a clutch inside the converter, which (when locked) eliminates any slippage within the converter (it connects the converter front cover [driven by the engine] directly to the trans input shaft). This improves your fuel economy. Unfortunately, it also transmits torsional vibrations from the engine to the driveline, so you'll hear more drones and low hums when your TCC is engaged. There is a damper (connected to the TCC), but it can't remove all the vibrations.

In MDS mode (where there are more torsional vibrations from the engine, since it's only running on 4 cylinders instead of 8), we partially engage the TCC, but don't fully lock it up. We let it slip at perhaps 30 RPM, which helps to reduce the vibrations transmitted to the driveline. If you tap the trans into ERS mode ("5"), MDS is disabled, and then the TCC will fully lock (at high enough speeds).

So the goal (of the TCC) is to obtain the best fuel economy. The downside is that it transmits more of the engine vibrations into the driveline.

I confirmed on the work order and with the dealer that the converter they installed was R8051146AB. What application is this converter for?
The vibrations that I'm experiencing since the converter was relaced are not the typical torsional vibrations that these trucks get in moving to MDS. I would describe them like driving on a section of grooved pavement for a few seconds at 100 km/hr, it shakes the whole truck.

TransEngineer 05-02-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilky70 (Post 789362)
I confirmed on the work order and with the dealer that the converter they installed was R8051146AB. What application is this converter for?
The vibrations that I'm experiencing since the converter was relaced are not the typical torsional vibrations that these trucks get in moving to MDS. I would describe them like driving on a section of grooved pavement for a few seconds at 100 km/hr, it shakes the whole truck.

Turns out there are two converter kit part numbers for the 5.7L applications (non-R/T). RL051146AB is a brand new torque converter (with the noise fix). R8051146AB is a remanufactured converter (also with the noise fix). So you did get the correct one.

Probably best to let your dealer diagnose the vibrations. They can drive it with a scan tool to confirm under what conditions (TCC unlocked, partially locked, or fully locked, MDS active or not active, current gear, etc.) it occurs.

S77R 09-21-2012 04:36 PM

Hey Wilky70, I hope you see this reply and can give me some good news of what happended with your truck. I am glad I found this thread cause I am in the same exact boat as you!

I had the famous torque converter rattle on my 2010 and after 2 attemps of trying to get it replaced I finally found a dealer that heard the noise and I dropped off the truck last week to have the converter replaced under the Star Case# S1121000005. I was so happy this was finally being taken care of and couldn't wait to get my truck back.

Well after a long week with them having the truck to replace the torque converter, I am now having the same exact issue as you. The rattle of the old converter is so far gone, but I now have this shutter and vibration exactly how you describe. At its worst, the vibration in the truck is like driving over the ribs on the shoulder of a highway. I also looked at my receipt and yep you guessed it, I have the same part number listed next to the new converter, R8051146AB. After finally finding someone to get this issue fixed and then having it take a week with a service dept that is open 24hrs a day, to say that I am pissed and frustrated is an understatment.

Please tell me that you/dealer have since figured out what the shutter and vibration was and have had it successfully fixed? To have the dealer turn around and now say that this is normal and is the MDS and to just shut off the MDS if I want it to go away and there is nothing else they can do is UNACCEPTABLE! The truck never did this before it went in last week and there has got to be something now wrong!

Please give me some good news wilky70! Also if there is anyone else with any knowledge or opinions on these issues please feel free to reply!

huntergreen 09-22-2012 08:03 AM

subscribed............

RamRzr 09-24-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilky70 (Post 789362)

I had the same issue with the re-manufactured TC, Part #R8051146AB. Initially I just had the drone noise, after the replacement I had the shudder and shake of the whole truck that you are describing. I took it in again and I am now on my 3rd converter part# RL051146AB.

I am extremely leery that it will happen again. Every little noise makes me sick to my stomach. I currently have heard a slight rattle at very low RPM. After reading this I will say that its what TransEngineer is talking about and that its related to MDS. I am watching it closely.

I hope Ram does something to ease the tension or prove that they have our back on this. It will be difficult to keep the truck 1 day past the powertrain warranty.

S77R 09-24-2012 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reply RamRzr,

So it was the R8051146AB torque converter causing the shudder and vibration and the RL051146AB one fixed it? I wasn't sure if it was this converter or the trans but the more I think about it, it probably is the converter like you described as I feel like it happens at time when the converter is trying to unlock.

I am going to print this thread out and take it with me to show the dealer this R8051146AB converter has caused similar issues with others. thanks again

Fatalwishes 09-26-2012 11:50 PM

"get a programmer to turn off mds"

Is he going to give you the secret code to bust into your computer too?

:4-dontknow:

BBRam 10-04-2012 01:51 PM

My truck had the drone/rattle/frisbee across the ground sound since day 1. Never affected drivability, no vibration, just the noise which drove me crazy. Since I hit 34k miles, I brought it in to the dealer before my warranty was up. They did the software update and gave it back to me. Nope. Brought it back a couple of days later, gave them the Star Case #, and they replaced the TC. Everything was right with the world. Or so I thought. 1 day later I 'm on the highway and all of a sudden there's this shudder. I thought I had drifted over to the rumble strips. But it happened again in the center lane. After a while I realized it would do it right around 1800 rpm/65 mph between load/no load. I figured it was a bad TC or install, but then I noticed it didn't do it if MDS was off, although without MDS there was a (milder) shudder at low speeds.
I could kick myself for bringing it in in the first place. The original TC was a little noisy but ran fine. This is not a little vibration, its a full-bore shuddering vibration, just like driving over those stay-awake rumble strips at LOW SPEED!
I said to my wife before I first brought the truck in, I hope I'm not making a mistake.......