DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Just bought a Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111693)

Basscatfrank 05-01-2012 11:19 AM

Just bought a Ram

New guy here and I just bought a 2009 Ram. The first truck I ever bought was a new 1984 Dodge Prospector with a 318. I kept that for a few years then traded it in for Silverado. Since then I have been a Chevy/GMC guy. I recently decided it was time for a new to me truck and after looking at Silverados, Sierras, and Tundras, I went to see a Ram. I was pleasantly surprised. After a little shopping around I found a 2009 Ram with the 4.7 that I liked and I bought it last night.

Can you tell me what to expect from this truck? I did my research but I would like to hear frst hand accounts from actual owners. I look forward to reading your responses. Thank you.

Excoastie 05-02-2012 06:40 AM

welcome to the Z Basscat. Be sure to stop in to the newbie section to get a proper welcome when you get the chance.

Remember that we just love to see pics around here, and there is a semi-unwritten rule that without pics, it didn't happen :D so be sure to post some pics when you get the chance.

I can't answer specifically about the '09s and what to expect, as I've got a '10 Crew Cab Sport. For the most part they're excellent trucks, Dodge did it right when they redesigned them.

The Z is broken up in to several different sections that make finding what you're looking for (if there is something specific) pretty easy. There is also the search feature which is very helpful. A good place to start is this forum, and also the 4th gen section.

Have fun, stop by often, and post a lot! I'm sure that you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us.

Exco

ArmyofOne 05-02-2012 08:35 AM

Hello there! I love my 4.7, wouldn't trade it for a Hemi...Ok, thats probably a lie, all things equal, there is no equal to the Hemi :LOL:.

But for what it is, the 4.7 is a beast. 330 ft lbs? from a 287 small block? My dad's ram got 250 out of a 360. Times have changed, you will continue to see smaller engines with larger power numbers.

The way I see it, If I can't tow it with my 4.7, I should probably be looking at a 3/4 ton, not just a Hemi.

I demand stellar fuel economy (for a full size truck) as well, and I get it, frequently. However, you do have to realize that it is a 6,000lb truck, so 20mpg city just isnt going to happen. That said, 20mpg hwy is very doable. I have almost 70k on my truck now, and she hasnt gotten that many miles by giving me crap for gas mileage. LOL

BlueRam1500 05-02-2012 10:47 AM

Hello Basscat, If you are like me you will find yourself loving the fact that you are getting in that truck on a daily basis! I smile everytime it cranks up! If you have any questions Like Excoastie said the the 4th Gen Sect. is a great place to start and if you don't find want you are looking for just ask there is someone on here that will have the correct answer...

bigedschukar 05-02-2012 01:52 PM

Hi Basscat!

Like ArmyofOne and BlueRam, I can't speak more highly of my 2009 4.7L. I have around 64K miles on mine now and it is still just an amazing vehicle to drive and own. I literally just HATE driving my wife's Honda CRV now! I got the 4.7L because I don't tow anything and I'm not a construction worker, but I wanted the power of a V8. Mine has PLENTY of get up and go and it sounds tough even in it's stock state. My gas mileage is usually 17-18MPG mixed city/hwy, but she loves road trips. I once got 22MPG on a 4 hour trip to Dallas. As for hauling, although I don't regularly tow/haul anything, I recently did 4 loads of rock for a culvert on my property. Yes I maxed out the bed load and she was tilted back, but damned if she didn't still have the get up and go!!

I love my truck. Like you I test drove trucks and fully expected to buy a Chevy....until I drove my Ram. They feel tight, tough, and strong.

Good luck with your new baby and give us a shout on here with any help/info!!

ArmyofOne 05-02-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRam1500 (Post 790409)
Hello Basscat, If you are like me you will find yourself loving the fact that you are getting in that truck on a daily basis! I smile everytime it cranks up! If you have any questions Like Excoastie said the the 4th Gen Sect. is a great place to start and if you don't find want you are looking for just ask there is someone on here that will have the correct answer...

I even smiled the day it didnt crank up...and the day it cranked but didnt move:doh::LOL:

sottis 05-11-2012 10:51 PM

congrats basscat, I've owned a 1995 with a 318, 2002 4.7 that I put 150,000 on and now I own a 2010 Laramie that I love. My Hemi is great but that little 4.7 was a great motor - wish the 5.7 was as easy to change oil as the 4.7