DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   fuel leak at tank (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111720)

ramfam 05-01-2012 05:18 PM

fuel leak at tank

Ok the 95 4x4 has a leak at tank. Now this is what I found I filled it up and accedently over filled it:smiledown: that's when I noticed it so I thought ok neck leaks. Well its been a while now and dad and I have put 50 miles on it and its down 1\4 of a tank. Well drove it today and well leak. So now I stuck my head under the bed its leaking around fuel pump so loosend fuel cap and it releced 2 sec worth of pressure. So I looked into evap system and was wondering if a bad purge valve can cause an over pressure like this?

ramvan2500 05-01-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfam (Post 789628)
Ok the 95 4x4 has a leak at tank. Now this is what I found I filled it up and accedently over filled it:smiledown: that's when I noticed it so I thought ok neck leaks. Well its been a while now and dad and I have put 50 miles on it and its down 1\4 of a tank. Well drove it today and well leak. So now I stuck my head under the bed its leaking around fuel pump so loosend fuel cap and it releced 2 sec worth of pressure. So I looked into evap system and was wondering if a bad purge valve can cause an over pressure like this?

It should leak period, even if the vehicle was to roll over the fuel shouldn't leave the tank PERIOD. If it's leaking around the top of the tank at the pump I could honestly put my money on a leaky fuel line quick connect, they're made of nylon and this part is known to crack on the dodge's after some time, if not that then could just be old cracked rubber hoses just drop the tank put a new pump in clean the tank new grommets call it a day.

ramfam 05-01-2012 05:54 PM

Well I was hopeing not to remove bed. My first thought was gasket at top of tank. But I noticed it was bubbleing out from pressure. And haveing 3\4 of a tank of fuel in tank and only being driven less then ten miles I don't think it should have hissed at me like a mad snake when I opened cap? My 01 never hisses when cap is opened at any time?

ramvan2500 05-01-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfam (Post 789658)
Well I was hopeing not to remove bed. My first thought was gasket at top of tank. But I noticed it was bubbleing out from pressure. And haveing 3\4 of a tank of fuel in tank and only being driven less then ten miles I don't think it should have hissed at me like a mad snake when I opened cap? My 01 never hisses when cap is opened at any time?

Well gasoline vaporizes at a very low temperature, less then room temp. Besides the point, some gas caps has pressure relief valves built in also the evap system should handle the pressure. But it shouldn't be leaking, so you're probably going to have to drop the tank (or remove the bed).

ramfam 06-06-2013 03:57 PM

solution found!

Well as discribed earlyer the truck was building tooo mutch pressure in tank causeing a leak at fuel pump. Well after a little time and some hunting and finaly 65$ for a specal order part it was purdge silnoid not letting pressure out of tank through evap system.:smileup:

ramvan2500 06-06-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfam (Post 1118460)
Well as discribed earlyer the truck was building tooo mutch pressure in tank causeing a leak at fuel pump. Well after a little time and some hunting and finaly 65$ for a specal order part it was purdge silnoid not letting pressure out of tank through evap system.:smileup:

I must say that I am surprised, the check engine light should have came on if that solenoid failed... Interesting it didn't, well computers what can I say. I too am having an issue with pressure build up in the tank, Chrysler engineers so graciously placed a black fuel tank directly at the rear of the vehicle, behind the axle and exhaust. It is always nice to unscrew your gas cap and hear PFFFFFFF!

Rtbacca 09-24-2013 11:49 PM

I have a leaky tank when full and will be placing the fuel pump soon because it is running low pressure. I assumed that the leak was coming from the top of the tank of the gasket around the fuel pump but after reading this forum I was wondering if I should look into this selonoid you ordered? and was wondering where you ordered it?