DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   4.7 power questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111750)

Melition 05-01-2012 10:55 PM

4.7 power questions

Hello everyone, I just recently picked up an 02 ram with the 4.7.
It's a 4x4 and a single cab, short bed.
I've already done Tmr delete mod, and the power wire.
Along with custom exhaust, cold air, and LSD with 3.92, is moves pretty good.

I have 35s with the 20s, an I wanted to know how big of a difference the 17s with smaller tires would be?

And how well would a truck like mine do against a qc hemi?

bigredtruck 05-01-2012 11:43 PM

smaller tires and wheels means less weight. you'll get up and moving a little faster. still wont stand a chance against the 5.7 Sorry. It'll be neck and neck for about 25 feet and then he'll start to pull away. too much torque.

Scrap the power wire thing and get a good tuner. it'll make a world of difference!

Melition 05-02-2012 12:39 AM

I expected that. I know the smaller tires would be a huge difference also. I can even spin the 35s.
But thats my next investment!

snrusnak 05-03-2012 03:54 PM

smaller wheels/tires are not only lighter, but they are lighter rotating mass, and they will give you a better gear ratio. It'll be fairly significant depending what combo you go with.

I'd also ditch the power wire. It screws up A/F ratios, not good. I don't know if they make tuners for the 2002's, but if they do that'd be a good mod. What CAI and exhaust work do you have done?

With your mods and the smaller tires you might stand a fighting chance, but not with the 35's.

Melition 05-23-2012 10:39 AM

I plan on getting 275/45s . They come out to 30 inch tires, and I'll ditch the power wire.
Right now I have Flowmaster and just k&n filter.
Once I get my truck how I like, I'm gonna run side exit with magnaflow.
I talked to boost performance down here, and they can tune my truck when they get the software in the fall.
But I'm gonna get the ho intake manifold and 212 cams before I have them tune it.

snrusnak 05-23-2012 10:57 AM

Cool. What software are they getting? I wonder if it's hp tuners(they've been claiming they're working on dodge tuning).

What's tmr delete mod?

I'd recommend swapping to the 2008+ intake manifold, it is the best one.

Magnaflow is a good choice.

30" tires would be a good choice with 3.92 gearing.

Melition 05-29-2012 12:07 AM

I've wanted to do the 30 inch tires, it would just look really weird since my truck is so tall.
But Im not sure what software they are using. He didn't go into detail, but im gonna end up doin it myself with sct tuner.

And on the 02/03 rams, you can take off a wire. Disrupting the torque management request.
Which takes off torque management. Not that big of a difference though.