DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Gvwr..... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111781)

y2kflhr 05-02-2012 08:28 AM

Gvwr.....
 
I understand the concept of not exceeding the weight, but what really happens when you do?

Hex 05-02-2012 02:49 PM

Warning, Weight Limits are put in place so you do not look like this guy

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/u...ChubbRider.jpg

y2kflhr 05-02-2012 07:20 PM

whole nuther set of air bags right there.......:SHOCKED:

articcatbill 05-03-2012 09:37 AM

I guess that depends on how much you go over lol. Not sure I would want to dump 10000 pounds of anything in the bed. I had 1880 in the bed and the truck squatted down and was fine. (new guy at coal yard). My impressions is these trucks squat down pretty easily but actually handle weight in the bed well. I do not get a lot of nose in the air going on, seems to distribute well.

Legally is a whole other issue, I try not to exceed, if you are in an accident and get caught over, well it can be ugly.

huntergreen 05-03-2012 11:44 AM

excess stress on the suspension, tires an shocks. our trucks can easily move more than the rated weight capacity, stopping is another story. compare our brakes to a 2500 brake and you will see what i am saying.

y2kflhr 05-03-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by articcatbill (Post 791241)
I guess that depends on how much you go over lol. Not sure I would want to dump 10000 pounds of anything in the bed. I had 1880 in the bed and the truck squatted down and was fine. (new guy at coal yard). My impressions is these trucks squat down pretty easily but actually handle weight in the bed well. I do not get a lot of nose in the air going on, seems to distribute well.

Legally is a whole other issue, I try not to exceed, if you are in an accident and get caught over, well it can be ugly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 791342)
excess stress on the suspension, tires an shocks. our trucks can easily move more than the rated weight capacity, stopping is another story. compare our brakes to a 2500 brake and you will see what i am saying.

thanks for the responses, this is my situation

motorcycle-880 dry weight so probably 900 lbs
rampage lift-approx. 300lbs
2 passengers- me -190, her about 125
misc gear-50-100 lbs depending on the trip

air lift 1000 installed for the sag

so I am looking at 1615 lbs the weight limit is 1363

I can't believe that this truck can't handle a big bike and passengers with gear safely?

any input appreciated

articcatbill 05-03-2012 03:13 PM

Do not forget a tank of gas in your truck also ;)

While I can't see what it looks like loaded, if you drive it and it feels good, handles well braking seems good with that load I would think you are fine. Personally I wouldn't think twice about it. Just like towing, you have to realize you have more weight, braking and handling will be different.

y2kflhr 05-03-2012 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found some pics from when I first installed the rampage unit, the bike is my neigbhbors, he volunteered to be a crash test dummy, my bike is an ultra so it weighs a bit more, the truck definitely sagged with the bike and me on the back so I bought the air lift 1000, and haven't loaded anything since the install, next week I plan on putting it all back in and taking a trip so I am just trying to cover my bases, the other thing I did notice was the tires did seem to squat a bit so I am going to put a few more lbs of air in, they are 17" tires.

GTyankee 05-03-2012 07:40 PM

A policeman would look at the load in the back, as 1,300 pounds
now if you were pulling a 8,000 pound travel trailer at the same time
They would look harder at the total weight

My Ram weighs 6,300 pounds with me in it, that includes, 1,000 pounds of work equipment, it weighs more if i also add suit cases, coolers full of Coors, water, soda, & 48 extra gallons of gas, ( i have an auxiliary gas tank ). My Ram handles the weight nicely, no suspension mods

y2kflhr 05-03-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 791649)
A policeman would look at the load in the back, as 1,300 pounds
now if you were pulling a 8,000 pound travel trailer at the same time
They would look harder at the total weight

My Ram weighs 6,300 pounds with me in it, that includes, 1,000 pounds of work equipment, it weighs more if i also add suit cases, coolers full of Coors, water, soda, & 48 extra gallons of gas, ( i have an auxiliary gas tank ). My Ram handles the weight nicely, no suspension mods

thanks I feel better about the whole thing after reading these posts, for my summer vacation the truck is going to have food and beer added to the usual other crap I have to bring for the little woman!!! and I really didn't want to pull a bike trailer if I didn't have to.....

sorry to ask again but do you add air with all that weight?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger