DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why so many trucks with tailgate damage? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111992)

Black1 05-04-2012 04:37 PM

Why so many trucks with tailgate damage?

It seems 80% of trucks I see have at least one dent, and ususally 2 or 3 dents, in the tailgate? And these aren't work trucks either? I just bought my truck and it's my 1st full size and definitely feel I need to be careful backing and round parking lots. Do people just tend to back into stuff when they drive a pick up?

bigdaddyII 05-04-2012 04:56 PM

My truck has a few dents, mostly on top of the tailgate from hauling something long and resting it on the top of the gate with it up. Also have a nice scratch on mine from a single axle trailer that I unlocked off of the ball but didnt move the truck. My uncle stepped on the back of the trailer and sideways and forward into my tailgate it went.

Gantman 05-04-2012 05:24 PM

Some think it's cooler to have a mangled up vehicle and others like to keep theirs lookin great for that hot date! Or if the date is pretty mangled then I guess the mangled truck wins that pickup! Hahaha! I had a good lookin 2006 lifted truck on 35's and made a move to a different state. First time out to get groceries in the thing and I come out of the store and said, WTF! I nice big ol dent in my left rear quarter panel of the bed! Sonofa?!$%? Motha?!@#$%^! I just wanted to break this foot off in someones A$#?@?! Some people nowadays are a bunch a haters and jealous children! Work hard, pay my taxes, pay the bills, just like the next hard workin American. Where's my damn AR! :box: Just Kiddin!

JimsRamTruck2012 05-04-2012 05:31 PM

There are alot of reasons why this happens. The 2 most popular I would think is backing into something and loading and unloading the truck.

GTyankee 05-04-2012 06:28 PM

My Ram is just over 3 years old

I put 2 dents in the rear bumper, that is what i get for trusting the electronic back up sensors, what i didn't know was there are 3 blind spots back at the rear
First one is where the hitch receiver is, i knew that i was close to a corner of a building & i had to back up, just a bit more, no buzzer went off & plastic bends easily

I then bought a back up camera, thinking between the 2, my Ram bumper is well protected & i have 2 eyes to see the rear view mirrors, well the post was low & i found that the very corner of the bumper can't be seen by the sensors, camera, or my eyes. I swear, concrete & steel posts grow fast !! Someone must have put Miracle Grow around it.:doh::4-dontknow:

Passenger side door has a nice dent in it, compliments of person that opened their door into it.
Drivers side has a deep scratch just above the gas tank access door, i was staying over night at a Motel 6 & i heard the alarm go off & by the time i put shoes on & got outside, the car full of younger people were gone.
Front bumper has several scrapes, some were put there by semi truck tires flying through the air at me & kids riding bicycles a bit to close to my front bumper while it is parked out in front of my place.

My windshield needs replacing now, rock chips from road debris

It is a truck after all, not a Ferrari

SS4Luck 05-04-2012 06:32 PM

I have a dent in my tailgat eand have no idea where it came from :/ I havent backed into anything cuz I dont have any bumper damage :(

Swaggerville Ram 05-04-2012 06:46 PM

First week I owned my truck I came out of a store to a nice dent in my front bumper. About the right height for a receiver hitch. That bumper got replaced under warranty. No other dents on the truck since. Knock on wood

2011 ASSAULT 800 05-04-2012 06:55 PM

I bet half of the little tail gate and rear bumper dings are boat trailers

chrisp 05-04-2012 07:28 PM

i have a 2 inch long by 1/4 inch gouge in the clearcoat on my tailgate from when a trailer came off the ball and smacked into the tailage. (thanks uhaul) lesson learned just because peole work at a place that sells, rents and operates trailers dont assume they know what they are doing.

Stump3r 05-04-2012 08:24 PM

The dent in my tailgate was a gift from my 6 year old. I had the holiday trailer hooked to the Ram and my son needed something out of the bed of the truck. Dropped the tailgate and it hit the hand crank! I was not impressed!