DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Plenum upgrade (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112100)

sasquatchram 05-06-2012 12:10 PM

Plenum upgrade

I have the Hughes kit on its way. For those of you that have done this, what else have you run into doing this project? I am going to do the valve cover gaskets while in there, have a recent tune up already and understand the water pump bypass hose is basically disposable. Anything else?

Might do the keg mod while at it but on the fence about its actual benefits.

sasquatchram 05-12-2012 08:48 PM

So I gathered all the miscellaneous parts and began the tear down last night. Pulled the intake this morning and was surprised it had the center divider being that the truck is a 98. The gasket was toast and the inside of the keg looked more like the inside of a valve cover. Used a sawzall, grinder, dremel and other tools to remove the center plate and I polished/ smoothed the runners. I decided not do do the full mod after reading a good article about it where they had the dyno chart and showed the off idle torque was lower after the mod and 3000+ rpm was where the gain was. Since I do most of my driving between 800 and 2000 rpm why move the powerband up? replaced the valve cover gaskets since it was all nice and open, installed a new 180 deg thermostat. Did the throttle body mod and put it all back together. Fired up first crank and the idle settled in @ 1100 and kind of rough (WTF????). Got out the carb cleaner and found a vacuum leak on injectors # 5&7. Went down a got an injector seal kit, replaced all 8 and still have issues at 5 & 7.

All looks good but it is a bit frustrating, any ideas?

Paul89 05-13-2012 12:17 AM

Is there anything inside the injector hole on the intake that might be causing the problem? Are they seating all the way down like the others? Do the injector tip look clean or dirty? If they are still leaking after you spray, did you use any silicon lubricate to help seat the injector back into the intake when you put the o-rings on the injectors? Could be hanging up when you re-install them. Even petroleum gel will work. Any time I mess around with o-rings, I lubricate them so they go on hassle free.

sasquatchram 05-16-2012 10:04 AM

Pulled the fuel rail again and used silicone grease on the O-rings, re installed and the truck runs better but not perfect. Sat down with a cold beer and went through the entire job in my head and realized I made a mistake and put the gasket side marked "manifold" against the head. Looks like I'll be pulling the intake again. Should go quick though since everything is clean and I just did it. Even with a new gasket set it still will be cheaper than having a shop do it...

sasquatchram 05-17-2012 09:51 AM

Re-did the intake gaskets and found I pinched one when re-installing the intake. runs great now. Pulled my 5000 lb boat and trailer with it and there is noticeably better torque.

gusman 05-17-2012 01:47 PM

Did the plenum kit, 180° t stat and smoothed down the intake runners on the inside of the manifold, man they looked terrible from the mold. Did the DIY throttle body thing too. Got it back together, motor will go in once I get the 52 chevy cab set up right on the frame and all of my wiring and plumbing done. Glad to hear the truck runs good with the new parts!

cape99ram 06-10-2012 09:07 PM

Hey im just about to order the hughes plenum kit for my truck and im wondering if theres any cutting or fabricating that needs to be done... and is it something an entry level mechanic could do?

namretsud 06-13-2012 10:50 AM

The kit is complete and all you need other than the proper tools. Just remember it is in in# not ft#.

sasquatchram 06-13-2012 07:35 PM

Complete set of sockets and end wrenches, multiple extensions (2", 4" & 6"), a iniversal fitting for the sockets would help but is not critical, an inch/lb torque wrench, a ft/lb torque wrench and about 8 hours if you don't have much wrenching experience. The Hughes kit was great and complete. Spend a few extra bucks and do the valve cover gaskets while in there.

maninthebox3 06-14-2012 09:30 PM

hey i just put a jaster engine in my truck last march did replace the bottom manifold gasket but did relize how many problems it seems to cause makes sence tho so my question is what is the keg mod and the tb mod and the hues kit? what all are you doin to em thanks for any info