DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   letting the truck sit. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112371)

Bent21606 05-09-2012 11:25 PM

letting the truck sit.

how many of you guys have your truck sitting for a few days at a time? for the first time i bought a car. now that the truck sits a few days it doesnt sound to good on the initial start up. i have full synthetic oil should i put oil additive in there too? after about a year and 4 months of filling up every week or 3 times every two weeks at 110 a pop i broke down and got a car. not to mention the dents scratches and over 40k miles on what used to be a new truck. oh and dont tap on my seats or sit down to hard or your covered in drywall dust lol time for a nice detail and let it sit and look pretty on the weekends.

dafoot 05-09-2012 11:39 PM

My Ram sits days, sometimes weeks without being started. Always sounds great at start up.

ArmyofOne 05-10-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bent21606 (Post 795865)
how many of you guys have your truck sitting for a few days at a time? for the first time i bought a car. now that the truck sits a few days it doesnt sound to good on the initial start up. i have full synthetic oil should i put oil additive in there too? after about a year and 4 months of filling up every week or 3 times every two weeks at 110 a pop i broke down and got a car. not to mention the dents scratches and over 40k miles on what used to be a new truck. oh and dont tap on my seats or sit down to hard or your covered in drywall dust lol time for a nice detail and let it sit and look pretty on the weekends.

My Ram has been sitting for a very long time.

In the last year It only moved for a 2 week period.

Other than that, wifey really just starts it and walks everywhere. It sat for 6 months, I came home, we took it on a 2500 mile+ road trip, it started right up and went on the road trip (with fresh oil of course) without an issue. I fully expect a repeat of the same when I come home and start driving it to work.

Rescue1 05-10-2012 12:20 AM

The only thing I have ever noticed is a slow crank, but that's due to my 12volt charging equipment I always have running. I generally run about 400-500mA Drain when it's sitting. If I let it sit for over 5 days, which is rare, I put a maintainer on it. Other than that it always starts up and runs like a champ. I don't have the "HEMI Tick" either like I did on my '04...:kar:

zack3AE 05-10-2012 05:49 AM

Mine sits for a month when i go to work and starts just fine. I work a month then on vacation for a month (working on ships). I just let it run for a couple minutes on the first start up before i take off

Excoastie 05-10-2012 09:10 AM

It all depends. I've got a weird schedule, and 4 vehicles in the driveway. I've been driving my PT Cruiser back and forth to work, so the truck has mostly been just sitting. I have been driving it a couple times a week, but nothing like I used to.

That being said, I've never had any issues. She'll start up first twist of the so-call key, and away we go.

Exco

snrusnak 05-10-2012 10:01 AM

I wouldn't put additives in. Most of them do more harm than good. New oil, especially good synthetics, are more than adequate.

I usually run mine every day, but lately I've been riding the bike daily, and the truck still fires right up after sitting for days.

What exactly do you mean "it doesn't sound good"?

crass 05-10-2012 12:31 PM

Mine sits for weeks at a time because of work . I have been a fan of synthetic oil . but i don't use it because i sit my truck so much . in the year and a half i have only put 7ooo KM on my truck . my last vehicle always sounded like a sewing machine when first started till i switched back to mineral oil. So i never switched the RAM over to synthetic .

snrusnak 05-10-2012 12:34 PM

^I don't understand that. That sounds like a prime candidate for synthetic. Synthetic can sit for a much longer time than conventional.

huntergreen 05-10-2012 12:36 PM

mine will sit for a week at a time, sounds fine at start up, no strange noises.