DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   South East (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Need help from my Louisiana natives. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112448)

beau.hampton 05-10-2012 11:09 PM

Need help from my Louisiana natives.

Anybody in the Baton Rouge area know of the best places to get work done on a 2004 Ram 1500? I'm putting a 3" level on the front and moving up to 35x12.50-17's. I need to get my speedo reset with a DRBiii Scan Tool and get a front end alignment. The dealers can't do the alignment on a lifted truck because they just set to factory settings. I've also got some crazy quotes of over $100 to set the wheel rpm's that should only be a $30-$50 job. It only takes 10 minutes with a scan tool. Any suggestions?

chrisp 05-11-2012 03:10 PM

do the level yourself it is literally a hour long job, buy a dsp and for 300 and change the tire size yourself and then you can tune it aswell your gonna need all the help you can get turning 35's. if you have stock rims and you plan on keeping them you will need to get .250 spacers or you will rub on the knuckle/control arm

chrisp 05-11-2012 03:11 PM

and dont level higher than 2.5 inches or you cv angles will be at wrong angles

beau.hampton 05-11-2012 09:12 PM

Thanks man. I'm definitely doing the leveling work myself. I have 2" coil spacers and the stock rubber boot which supposedly brings it to a total of 3". I've seen people install with or without the rubber boot and haven't heard of any issues. Do you think that that setup will be too harsh on the CV angles? I also bought the longer shocks so that I won't be overextended. As far as the programmer goes, I'm still skeptical about buying one since a SuperChips fried my uncle's computer on his 2004 Ram 3500. Hopefully I won't have to add one for the kind of driving that I do. I can't wait to get started on this beast soon. I'll try to start a build thread and include some before and after pics and some stats on gas mileage difference with the level and much larger tires.

chrisp 05-13-2012 07:12 PM

wait a second. is yours 2wd? if so you dont have cv shafts and no need to worry lol also what gearset do you have. 3.55,3.73,4.10,4.56?

beau.hampton 05-14-2012 03:36 AM

Yeah. My truck is 2wd and I realized that I didn't have cv joints when I installed the coil spacers yesterday. So used to owning front wheel drive cars that I didn't even catch that when I asked. LOL!The coil spacers and stock 2500 stocks gave me a lift of 2.25 inches and a better stance. It's still about an inch lower in the front than the rear using the body line to measure but it's much better than it was. Now I can't wait to get the wheel spacers and 35's mounted up this week. Gotta replace a stud first that got cross threaded. I'm already much happier with the closer to level look that it has. Took about 3 hours to do the first side because we kept stopping to find the correct tools for the job and to eat dinner but the second side only took 35 minutes and went a lot smoother.

beau.hampton 05-17-2012 11:20 PM

Tires are on! Minor rubbing behind the tires at full lock and I'm just gonna trim the plastic until I get my 3" body lift. Only real problem is that the front right catches the bumper on left turns because the bumper is pushed in from a previous wreck. Gonna pull it back out with a chain and a big tree tonight.