DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Wanting to use bilstien 5100's to level truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112508)

08ramtrx4 05-11-2012 11:05 PM

Wanting to use bilstien 5100's to level truck

So i am reading i can use these to level the truck how well do they work and hows the ride. I have a trx4 so how much height will i gain?

ShawnC13 05-11-2012 11:21 PM

I have a TRX as well and have looked into leveling also. I was told that the Bilstiens are the only way to level the TRX properly as the leveling spacers won't work. You may want to call a local lift and spring shop and see what they say as well.

08ramtrx4 05-11-2012 11:52 PM

B.w since you have a trx.What makes it a trx i know skid plates and nice red shocks and tow hooks.But what else like doseit have a better locker in the rear end??

08ramtrx4 05-14-2012 11:26 AM

So is this a good idea?

Black1 05-14-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08ramtrx4 (Post 798654)
So is this a good idea?

Not really. Especially if you tow or haul anything of substance. It's form over function.

08ramtrx4 05-14-2012 02:44 PM

Maybe a four wheeler or a boat. And I don't plan to max them out just want to take some rake out of the truck and add some hight.

SS4Luck 05-15-2012 10:08 AM

Adding bilsteins to the front wont hurt yout towing performance at all lol

The truck will ride better than stock for sure as the bilsteins are a better quality shock and will do better over the bumps and everything else. Just make sure to get it re aligned after the install

08ramtrx4 05-15-2012 11:05 AM

Come to find out I think its cheaper this way to level the truck then to get a spacer and new shocks.I think if I adjust them for two inches ill be fine.

RAMROD5 05-15-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Luck (Post 799369)
Adding bilsteins to the front wont hurt yout towing performance at all lol

The truck will ride better than stock for sure as the bilsteins are a better quality shock and will do better over the bumps and everything else. Just make sure to get it re aligned after the install

not totally true, for small/mild towing and hauling your right, but for the guys who really work these trucks, with 1500 lbs in the bed or towing 6k or more, the rake is there so when the truck is loaded down it still sits level and still has very positive steering and control. when the truck is level to begin with, and you load it down, it leans back, taking weight off the front of the rig and just all around making it look like a horrible/improperly set up tow vehicle, also has negative effects on steering etc.....so its a mod for some, and not others, one thing ive seen on this forum, is many people have trucks and dont seem to ever put them to work 95% of the time, i supposed that is where this mod comes in handy.:smileup:

08ramtrx4 05-15-2012 02:18 PM

That's why I wont fully adjust the shock to its max settings I want a lil rake but not alot and want to be nice to the cvs