DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Clicking noise coming from front end. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112733)

Hapas 05-15-2012 08:20 AM

Clicking noise coming from front end.

I have a 2001 Off Road pkg, with 5.2L, 315/70/17's and a 2" leveling kit. I have just over 117k miles, and getting a clicking noise from the front end. I have talked with some friends, and they are saying CV joints. Would like to confirm. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul89 05-18-2012 05:42 PM

Need more information.....
Is it happening while driving at highway speed, in town, off road, while turning, in 4 wheel or 2 wheel? Possible engine noise? I know some small 4X4 trucks might have CV Joints but not sure about Dodge full size. Thought they are U joints but not sure. I do know when U Joints start going bad the little needle bearings start making a clicking sound. Could gease them if they have a gease fitting.

Hapas 05-20-2012 07:38 PM

Clicking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul89 (Post 802021)
Need more information.....
Is it happening while driving at highway speed, in town, off road, while turning, in 4 wheel or 2 wheel? Possible engine noise? I know some small 4X4 trucks might have CV Joints but not sure about Dodge full size. Thought they are U joints but not sure. I do know when U Joints start going bad the little needle bearings start making a clicking sound. Could gease them if they have a gease fitting.

Thanks for the response!! I first noticed it while in 4WD while turning. I may be paranoid now thinking I hear it while driving in town, though that could be my tool box. LOL. I am pretty sure it is not an engine noise, and it could very well be the U joints, I may have misquoted by saying CV.

SportHD 05-24-2012 08:14 PM

When my front u-joint went bad it started off by only making the sound in 4wd. But as the joint got worse, you could start to hear it just driving around in 2wd. Especially at slow speeds. Grab ahold of the front axle shafts and wiggle them. If there is any play in the joint its done..

SnoopyIsMyHero 05-25-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportHD (Post 806200)
When my front u-joint went bad it started off by only making the sound in 4wd. But as the joint got worse, you could start to hear it just driving around in 2wd. Especially at slow speeds. Grab ahold of the front axle shafts and wiggle them. If there is any play in the joint its done..

Same here. And they are ujoints, not CVs. You can replace just the joints in the shafts which is good, because the axle shaft assembly is not cheap.

bpico1 11-03-2014 04:58 PM

Front end

Hello gents I have a simple 2003 1500 with a 4.7 it has almost 200,000 miles on it and when I cut the wheel hard to either side I hear almost like a click from the front kind of like when you dislocate a joint in your body and it goes back in I think it is my tie rod ends but I am not sure it is definitely coming from the steering system of the truck. If anyone has any idea as to what it is I would appreciate it

-Ben

Maddevill 11-04-2014 10:42 AM

bpico1- the tie rod ends do go bad on our trucks. Also check that the upper control arm bolts haven't loosened up. I had my alignment done and they left one loose and it would clunk whenever I moved the truck.

Lazarus Truck 11-04-2014 09:28 PM

X2 with the others on the front "axle-joints", Hapas. I recommend a set of Spicer u-joints. If you get the local A-Zone parts, you'll be replacing them again in a few years. But be prepared, once you get into the front-end, you tend to find alot of other things that need work as long as you are in there. Check the ball-joints and tie-rod-ends. Hub bearing feel good? Just saying that this is one of those little-jobs that can turn into big ones. And then there is the OTHER side of the truck........

bpico1 12-06-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddevill (Post 1510918)
bpico1- the tie rod ends do go bad on our trucks. Also check that the upper control arm bolts haven't loosened up. I had my alignment done and they left one loose and it would clunk whenever I moved the truck.

thanks as soon as I get a chance I will look into it -Ben