DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Idea's for Modifications? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112784)

Emorris69 05-15-2012 08:32 PM

Idea's for Modifications?

So I need new ideas for engine/ performance modifications. I have an intake and exhaust system. Is there and other do it your self mods out there for a reasonable price that will help my truck? I would like any ones opinion on what they have done to their trucks what’s worked what’s not. Lets get the information out their for people like me that just love to drive and can never get enough out of their trucks

Thanks
Emorris69

huntergreen 05-15-2012 11:34 PM

without a tuner, and there aren't any for our trucks, its all fluff. there is nothing you can do for more power or mpg.

Excoastie 05-16-2012 07:52 AM

If you're looking for simple (could end up costing a few $$$ though) mods.. here are few examples

180 t-stat
larger throttle body
tuner
catch can
engine bay dress up stuff

Do a search on what you can expect to gain from the lower temp thermostat. I believe the gains from a larger throttle body should be obvious, the same is true of the tuner. The catch can catches excess oil running through your breather (do a search to learn more). The dress up stuff will make things run better, go faster, and look cooler (everyone knows that pretty is faster :D )

good luck and let us know what you decide on

Exco

huntergreen 05-17-2012 10:30 AM

tbs, in our trucks are useless. how would 180 degree stat affect his heat in the winter "up" in nova scotia.

TheBlackHemi 05-17-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 799920)
without a tuner, and there aren't any for our trucks, its all fluff. there is nothing you can do for more power or mpg.

Yeah you don't know nothing:nutkick:

Dude you can do quite a bit without tuning but it will cost you money and the sounds of it your looking for cheap mods.....you need to throw all that being cheap shit out the window, you got to pay to play:smileup:

I have JBA shorty headers (for $555 & $170 install)
258mm Circle D 3000 stall Torque Converter (for $850 and $225 install)
Fastman Throttle Body ($220)
Mopar CAI with Ram Air mod ($400)
22" magnaflow muffler and y-pipe mod (for $100 and $120 install)
Raceland e-cutout (for $160 and $50 install)
180Tstat ($25)
Catch Can ($80)

I'm pretty sure thats all I have and I don't have a tuner (2011 CC sport)....your computer learns and adapts when you disconnect your battery. There's no one that can't tell me my performance/mpg hasn't gone up. So for someone to say there's nothing you can do to 2011s and up to increase your performance/mpg is a damn liar. Don't get me wrong I'm waiting in the line for a tuner just like everyone else so I can begin stage two of my performance mods (cam, heads, turbo/supercharger).

CanDan 05-17-2012 02:48 PM

From what I read on the thermostat us Canadians shouldn't do it because of our cold climate.

huntergreen 05-17-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi (Post 801112)
Yeah you don't know nothing:nutkick:

Dude you can do quite a bit without tuning but it will cost you money and the sounds of it your looking for cheap mods.....you need to throw all that being cheap shit out the window, you got to pay to play:smileup:

I have JBA shorty headers (for $555 & $170 install)
258mm Circle D 3000 stall Torque Converter (for $850 and $225 install)
Fastman Throttle Body ($220)
Mopar CAI with Ram Air mod ($400)
22" magnaflow muffler and y-pipe mod (for $100 and $120 install)
Raceland e-cutout (for $160 and $50 install)
180Tstat ($25)
Catch Can ($80)

I'm pretty sure thats all I have and I don't have a tuner (2011 CC sport)....your computer learns and adapts when you disconnect your battery. There's no one that can't tell me my performance/mpg hasn't gone up. So for someone to say there's nothing you can do to 2011s and up to increase your performance/mpg is a damn liar. Don't get me wrong I'm waiting in the line for a tuner just like everyone else so I can begin stage two of my performance mods (cam, heads, turbo/supercharger).

you could be right and "i don't know nothing", but the small gains you may have achieved with your mods are not worth the dollars imho. the exception being your circle D. tbs, is a fine paperweight. in the seventies, we could gain as much or more hp simply with a glass pack and fliping the air cleaner over. suggesting a 180degree stat to a forum member up north is poor advice. now if you want to talk about replacing the pistons, lifters, camshaft and the ecm from a ten model and a supercharger, and find a tuner to make it all work, then you are right, there is plenty that can be done, but again, "i don't know nothing".

TheBlackHemi 05-17-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 801141)
you could be right and "i don't know nothing", but the small gains you may have achieved with your mods are not worth the dollars imho. the exception being your circle D. tbs, is a fine paperweight. in the seventies, we could gain as much or more hp simply with a glass pack and fliping the air cleaner over. suggesting a 180degree stat to a forum member up north is poor advice. now if you want to talk about replacing the pistons, lifters, camshaft and the ecm from a ten model and a supercharger, and find a tuner to make it all work, then you are right, there is plenty that can be done, but again, "i don't know nothing".

:nutkick:again for your stupidity.....first off I didn't suggest a 180Tstat I told him what I have and what can be done without tuning (learn to read)! FYI if you look at almost every fast truck on these and other forums you will see similar mods to the ones I have plus the cam,heads,turbo/supercharger/N20. The mods I've done are not as good if you do them just by themselves but when you couple them all together I promise your truck will be a whole different animal, I just can't wait till tuning to make them even better!...... fyi a fastman throttle body is not a throttle body spacer:nutkick:

snrusnak 05-17-2012 03:44 PM

You can definitely get more power from intake and exhaust mods even without tuning.

Most mods aren't worth the money, but they are worth it to the owner because it's fun. There are few if any performance mods that are financially justifiable.

huntergreen 05-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi (Post 801155)
:nutkick:again for your stupidity.....first off I didn't suggest a 180Tstat I told him what I have and what can be done without tuning (learn to read)! FYI if you look at almost every fast truck on these and other forums you will see similar mods to the ones I have plus the cam,heads,turbo/supercharger/N20. The mods I've done are not as good if you do them just by themselves but when you couple them all together I promise your truck will be a whole different animal, I just can't wait till tuning to make them even better!...... fyi a fastman throttle body is not a throttle body spacer:nutkick:

well tks for setting me straight. read that as tbs, sorry.