DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Total Load Control - Dodge Ram Air Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Install of Total Load Control on 2010 Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112849)

rickabev 05-16-2012 05:25 PM

Install of Total Load Control on 2010 Ram

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I recently installed the TLC system on my 2010 Ram. I have installed other systems on older rams, a Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota Tundra (previous vehicles and family member's vehicles). I'd say the install for this took me about the same time overall, but for different reasons. The install of the bags was easy and took less then 1 hour. The hardest part with the bags is putting a bolt on the driver's side because access is an issue. The rest of the install took me around 6-7 hours additional. All of the other systems I have dealt with have been controlled wirelessly so I haven't had to bring any hoses or wires through the firewall or had to permanently mount the gauge/controller.

I wanted to make the gauge, switch and dump valve look as integrated and factory as much as possible, so I took a lot of extra time figuring out what would work best for me. So, here are some quick pics from my phone with what I ended up with. I decided to mount the gauge on the center console on the passengers side. I originally wanted it on the drivers side but there are some mechanisms for the shifter that run under the console and so there wasn't enough space. I put the switch and dump valve on the bottom panel above the gas pedal, next to where I have my trailer brake controller mounted. Hopefully that gives you some point of reference because the pics aren't all that clear.

I feel like it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think. I get to test it out this weekend when I pull my travel trailer. Looking forward to it!

Jeff Boeing 05-16-2012 07:01 PM

Looks sharp!

What would you say the difficulty/skill level is to install the gauge in the console? Any special tools required?

Looks beautiful!

JB

crusher 05-16-2012 07:08 PM

very good job, nice pics also, rep points for that :)

rickabev 05-16-2012 11:37 PM

Thanks JB and Crusher.

JB: I didn't use any special tools and I am just a DIY'er. First I popped off the chrome piece that rings the console then there are 4 screws if I remember right. Two under the cubby hole at the front and then two under the drink holders. You can then pop the top portion of the console up and rotate it off. I then figured out where i wanted it and then drilled a pilot hole. You can then use an auger bit or a hole saw type bit to drill out the size of the gauge. My bit wasn't quite big enough so I used a dremel tool with a sander bit on it to fine tune it so the gauge would drop in. You can then use the mount that comes with the set to secure it to the console. It worked well and is secure.

ArmyofOne 05-17-2012 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting it here!

JJMC 05-24-2012 06:23 PM

I did a similar install this week but installed the gage, switch and air dump valve all together like the factory supplied bracket but in the concel. I'm happy with The system carrying loads so far but when the bags are deflated over large bumps I can hear and feel the top plate of the bag and where the metal bump stop is contacting. Are you experiencing the same thing?

rickabev 05-24-2012 07:03 PM

Yes I do get that occasionally, so I have just been running a minimal amount of air in the bags and that seems to stop the problem. Doesn't effect the ride really at all... Post some pics of your install if you get a minute!

JJMC 05-24-2012 07:41 PM

Yeah that's what I have been doing to. Just like 3lbs and the ride seems the same. I actually would just rather have a way to top mount them so it's eliminated all together but all in all I like the system.

I will get a couple pics when Im in my truck again and post them. My initial thought was to mount it on the driver side same place you did but there wasn't enough room behind the panel. So I ended up mounting just obve there on the vertical part of the center dash panel. Like you I used a hole saw which was a little small then a file. I then used the supplied bracket as a template for the switch and dump valve holes.

I like your install looks good

TLC John 05-25-2012 07:06 PM

Keep minimal psi in the TLC Air Bags

JJ,

First, thank you for being a TLC customer.

Second, we do recommend that you keep a minimal amount of air in the bags to avoid noise. As you have found, there is no adverse effect on the ride with a few psi (some customers add about 5 psi to give a sportier feel). If that was not stated in the instructions you received, that's our mistake which we are correcting immediately.

Finally, about attaching the air springs at the top, we definitely don't recommend that. When air springs are mounted at the top and bottom, the actions of the truck pull on the air springs and can break them apart. This can't happen with the TLC™ patented design since only one end is anchored.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the lift and leveling power.

Thanks,

John
Total Load Control

JJMC 05-25-2012 08:15 PM

TLC Gage install

1 Attachment(s)
John,

Thanks for the info. I will apply your recommendations. I am very happy with the product so far. Please see attached Pic of how I installed the gage, switch and pressure releif valve on my console.

JJ