DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.7L PowerTech V6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Blown head gasket! need help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112936)

trotter33 05-17-2012 05:30 PM

Blown head gasket! need help

I have a 2005 quad cab with 190,000 miles. The head gasket recently blew and I was told the engine needed to be replaced at a cost of $4,000. The truck is in fairly good condition otherwise new tires also. I want to keep the truck as we recently paid it off. Wanted to know if anyone knows if it will cost me $4,000 to fix? Also is there any value to the truck at this point if I cant afford to fix it? I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks, Troy in Atlanta

ramvan2500 05-17-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trotter33 (Post 801180)
I have a 2005 quad cab with 190,000 miles. The head gasket recently blew and I was told the engine needed to be replaced at a cost of $4,000. The truck is in fairly good condition otherwise new tires also. I want to keep the truck as we recently paid it off. Wanted to know if anyone knows if it will cost me $4,000 to fix? Also is there any value to the truck at this point if I cant afford to fix it? I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks, Troy in Atlanta

It doesn't cost that much to fix that, hect I can buy an entire engine for 250 bucks out the door. But assuming the block and heads aren't damaged then it should cost a couple hundred bucks to fix. If the block and heads are iron they most likely aren't damaged because iron heads and blocks are much more resilient. I can assume it's aluminum though because aluminum has become much cheaper then steal because of the demand for steal and the ease of recycling. But to answer the question if you can get another engine for 250 bucks how could it cost 4000 to fix one? RIP OFFERS, Jack the Rip Offer.

HemiLonestar 05-18-2012 11:03 AM

There is a chance your head warped, you might have to replace the head and/or get the deck surface checked out. I think the $4000 is also including total labor.

ramvan2500 05-18-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 801776)
There is a chance your head warped, you might have to replace the head and/or get the deck surface checked out. I think the $4000 is also including total labor.

Even with labor it's still way over priced, thing is that I dislike is the dealer or shop will charge lets say 60 dollars and hour labor but the mechanic will only get about 20 dollars out of it if he is lucky and this is before taxes. But it's not the mechanic I have anything against is those companies who overcharge you for every last nut bolt and droplet of sweat.

HemiLonestar 05-18-2012 05:28 PM

Waitasec...how do you have a quad cab with a V6? I didn't think they made any QC's with the 3.7