DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   A/C Clutch Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113018)

NCDEVILDOG 05-18-2012 08:11 PM

A/C Clutch Issue

Well fellas I have been dealing with the no air conditioning issue with my truck for about a year now. Living in Arizona that just isn't possible anymore. :FIREdevil: I have changed the a/c clutch relay,fuses and had the refrigerant levels checked, so I know those are both good. My A/C clutch doesn't engage(click on) when I turn my a/c on. It doesn't matter what setting I have it on. I have been looking for a wiring diagram for the a/c system on my truck. Anyone know where I can find one? I'm an electrician so I know how to troubleshoot, but haven't dealt with the a/c compressor before so I wanted to be sure whether I need a new a/c compressor or maybe just my a/c clutch is fried. Any help would be appreciated guys and gals.

JohnDeerekid 07-29-2012 02:19 PM

I am having the same issue with my clutch, checked the relay, and watched to see if the clutch would engage and disengage. I know that the clutch is roughly 180.00 to replace and the compressor is around 450.

Havok1967 08-02-2012 07:38 PM

same issue

I am also having the same issue. 2001 Ram 1500. The a/c is fully charged, but when i turn the a/c on, the cluth clicks on and off, never staying on to blow cold air. All i get is hot air, usually warmer than outside temp. One opinion i have is that the thermostat might be bad and not allowing the system to blow cold air. Any opinions?

JDTECH 08-02-2012 11:46 PM

I believe Dodge uses a pressure cycling switch for the A/C system. If the system isn't fully charged, which causes low pressure as soon as the clutch is engaged, or if the system is overcharged and/or the condensor is plugged and/or the fan clutch is slipping causing excessively high pressure when the clutch is engaged, the switch will open and cut off current to the clutch. A good set of A/C gauges are mandatory for correct A/C system diagnosis and repair so that you can get an idea of what the system has for a charge if the compressor doesn't run, and see what the pressures are doing to determine what the problem is if the compressor does run.

Warlock III 08-03-2012 12:14 AM

^ I agree^

But I would like to add...if you had to add refrigerant to the system or did any repairs it has to be vacuumed out to -27 to -30 for at least a half hour (repairs mostly) If any air entered the system then there's a good chance that there may be moisture.

ANY air or moisture will cause the compressor to kick on and off endlessly.

99ram59 03-13-2013 05:43 PM

Did anyone ever figure out the problem? I am having the same issue, the compressor does not get power. I checked the a/c low gauge and it seems like it has enough refrigerant.
I have searched for this for days, seen that many people have the same issue but no one ever returns to post the solution.

tommk86 06-03-2013 07:15 PM

NCDEVILDOG, Autozone used to have vehicle manuals online. hey probably still do. You may be able to get the wiring diagram there.
/r,
VA Squid ;-)