DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   First 500miles, took a big rock chip to the front chrome grill! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113166)

Gantman 05-20-2012 09:12 PM

First 500miles, took a big rock chip to the front chrome grill!

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd share my DIY custom paint job to my damaged 500 mile 2012 chrome grill(2000 miles as of today). On the freeway going south to San Antonio, a big ole rock bounced off the front end and I heard the impact from in the cab. Pulled over and laughed after finding a deep crater in the upper right side of my new, barely 500 mile chrome grill. 2 weeks later after 400,600,1500, and 2000 grit wet sanding, 3 cans of Bright White gloss Krylon Fusion and 2 cans of Krylon Gloss clearcoat, here she is! Make it your own baby!:smileup:

white4x4 05-20-2012 09:29 PM

damn now that looks good, hella lot better than how mine turned out

Ace-- 05-20-2012 09:32 PM

Its looks real good!!

Gantman 05-20-2012 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ram brothers! I just thought it would be a waist to throw away a perfectly decent front grille because of a sharp edged marble sized rock chip. I had bought and installed an aftermarket chrome grill by RI off of ebay to replace my damaged grill and threw the damaged OE in storage for a couple months. After seeing a lot of all white painted grilles, I said, SELF, lets repair the dent with a high quality ABS plastic cement and paint it to match the white body but still accent the lower chrome steel bumpa! This is a pic of my RI grille now in storage as a back up.

2010hemislt 05-20-2012 10:57 PM

That looks sick man! im thinkig of doing something like that as well.. I also like the other grille you have too!

918Dodge 05-20-2012 11:48 PM

Looks good man.. any pics of the damage?

Gantman 05-21-2012 08:15 AM

Thanks 2010Hemislt! The other grille is cool too when I'm wanting the bling but for some reason, the OE grille just gives that Ram nostril snarling look to the truck for me. And for 918Dodge, sorry man, I wish I took pics of the dent/crack before the repair and paint. Would have been cool to show the entire process. It was one of those disgust and laughter situations that you wish didn't happen but hey; I wouldn't have been able to come up with the custom DIY paint job if it didn't. One paint article from an autobody guy said it best; "If it's your daily driver, don't worry about getting a flawless, car show type paint job on the front grille because it will continue to take road debris abuse".

ArmyofOne 05-21-2012 09:41 AM

Hey bud...just a question, but why not tape it the same way and plasti-dip it? Probably would have been easier? Idk, I am just curious.

Gantman 05-21-2012 09:48 AM

Hey hows it going ArmyofOne! You know, didn't think about the PlastiDip at the time but that is a good idea as well. How does PlastiDip hold to chrome plated plastic? I read a lot of good stories on this stuff for wheels and such. I was thinkin of doing my other grille with it.

Rise Captain 05-22-2012 11:10 AM

It holds up real good.. I paint with plasti all the time for a good amount of people as it is also on mine