DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   towing ?'s (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113441)

newfiebullet 05-24-2012 07:46 PM

towing ?'s

looking for tips? have to tow an 8300 pound travel trailer , about a 2 hr so drive.truck is rated to tow 8900, i have an airlift 1000 rear air springs . have all the proper weight distibution bars and stuff . trailer has electric brakes.so few questions i have are what tire psi to run? what about the air shocks? should i use tow haul or just the manual shift it, what would be good setting for the trailer brake. i have the factory tow package with the hitch brake and cooler.and load range d tires. asked this on another forum and was told to go rent a diesel, which im not for a one time deal,and drive 4 hours to rent one and then do it again to drop it off. dropping this off in a park and leaving again so its not a regular basis type of thig, one time deal. its a decent and fairly flat road, my truck is fairly new so brakes are perfect and not a concern.just lookin for tips not judgment.

wbowyer 05-24-2012 08:27 PM

Pump the tires up to the load PSI in the door. This will help "stiffen" the ride and reduce the trailer sway. As to the airlift I'd just give them (airlift) a call and see what they recommend. You should be fine, I towed 7000 from Orlando to Birmingham via Atlanta (12 hours with the trailer) in terrible conditions with no issue and managed some really good mpg's due to reduced speeds. Utilize the tow/haul setting on the truck, and I'd recommend driving to the trailer (or atleast 15 minutes of driving) with it in this mode so the transmission gets "dialed in". Since the tranny has an adaptive shift "learning" feature you will likely have some quirky shifts after you drop it off - this is normal and it is just readjusting to not having the extra weight. You'll definately feel the trailer back there too, so keep in mind that our motors have a pretty high RPM for the peak HP/TQ...to get it moving you'll probably have to give it some throttle. Finally, make sure you have a full tank of fuel...don't expect amazing mpg's with that behind you.

Burkdadhemi 05-24-2012 09:09 PM

I tow a Travel Trailer thats weigh's in the neighborhood of 10K with my 08, I use the Reese dual sway control system and never have had any issue's what so ever. Truck has all the trailer package equipment on it. Now I don't do this everyday but at least once a year sense I travel for work with my trailer. inflate your tires to max PSI, you will be fine. Do the obvious and check all fluids and take some with you.

united316 05-25-2012 04:03 PM

Some people say use tow haul mode some people say don't I always do I like the fact that when there is a slow down on interstate or in town when u apply the brake in tow haul mode it will drop you down a gear and use engine and transmission to help slow you down. I don't feel this when I just use manual mode. plus you its time to get back on throttle there is no hard drop in gear because you are already there.. in fact I leave tomorrow morning at 6am with my Pop up camper to get away for the weekend, and I will be going through the mountains so tow haul will be defiantly engaged.

newfiebullet 05-25-2012 08:50 PM

thanks for all the info, i hope my air bags show up before my trip

Rescue1 05-26-2012 03:07 AM

I love Diesel motors, don't get me wrong, but that comment you received from elsewhere is just ignorant. Now if you had to tow that load everyday, yes I think a Diesel truck is the way to go, but for many of us we need a truck for various things, occasional towing/Hauling being one of them. The HEMI does a fine job as an all around truck. And I bet some of these nuts that have a Diesel only tow a few times a year, a waste at the high Diesel fuel prices if you ask me...LOL..:i_rolleyes:

Good luck either way, I would like to hear how the trip went..:Hey:

CanuckHRAM 05-28-2012 06:10 PM

Hello Newfiebullet,

I'm running close to 6500 pounds with my 21 ft. Travel Trailer and regularly take it camping to the mountains. My 2011 Outdoorsman comes with 17" Tires and I inflate them to a few pounds shy of maximum - max. is 50 pounds in this case so I run around 48 pounds. I've also installed Firestone Airbags inside the coil springs and they work great.

With your Airlift system and Weight Distribution Hitch you should have no problem hauling this load. I do use my Tow/Haul Mode pretty much the entire trip as I've read that this is the way to go if you want your tranny to last. I would also recommend you use at least the mid-grade Octane (89) whenever you are towing as it does make a difference. When I'm not towing I use the lower 87 grade mixed with 89. The HEMI has plenty of power but take it easy and do expect to feel that trailer behind you!

Happy towing.

Otterdriver 05-28-2012 07:27 PM

Alot of good advice here.

newfiebullet 05-29-2012 12:21 AM

thanks so much for the info just wat i needed, especially the guys that do this on a reg basis, only last questions is what is a good ballpark on the trailer brake? again thanks so much.

79time 05-29-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfiebullet (Post 808799)
thanks so much for the info just wat i needed, especially the guys that do this on a reg basis, only last questions is what is a good ballpark on the trailer brake? again thanks so much.

I would start with a 5 and make make a couple of test in the neighborhood. You will be able to tell if it needs to be increased or decreased.