DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   newbie with cat back dual exhaust questions. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113656)

Big Austinite Tx 05-27-2012 10:54 PM

newbie with cat back dual exhaust questions.

Okay guys, I am new to this forum and since joining, I have decided to customize my perfectly good 2002 4.7 four door ram, which I totally love.It serves all of my transportation,hauling, and pulling needs.I am a carpenter, and a self employed contractor on the side.
So I hear from some people that a cat back one in dual out exhaust system will improve my gas mileage, increase the horsepower, and make my truck growl like the beast that it is. I am considering the flowmaster 50, or the 70 series muffler with the wystem. Apparently, alot of the members seem to be preferable to magnaflow over flowmaster. My buddy who works at a muffler and automotive shop told me that magnaflow exhaust system will not improve my mpg and h.p, however with the flowmaster 50 series I could get as much as 4 extra m.p.g.
Could some of you who have either magnaflow and flowmaster systems share your experience and whether you feel the alteration was worth it as far as sound, mpg increase, and horsepower increase?:hah:

GunMetalRam14 05-27-2012 11:08 PM

My truck is a 2010 5.7 but the results shouldnt be too much different. I had a 14 inch magnaflow which sounded great but seemed to underpower my truck. Then I put on cold air and the sound changed alot. I didnt like it so I changed it to the flowmaster super 40 and I love it. Deeper and louder sounding and better response.

STERLING RAM 82 05-27-2012 11:21 PM

With just a muffler swap you will not notice much of a difference with either. If you are going for the whole system then Magnaflow is what you would want for performance. If you just want sound only, then go with Flowmaster. I used to be a big fan of Flowmaster back in the day, but can't handle the constant droning any longer. Magnaflow is the best between the two IMO.

snrusnak 05-29-2012 01:13 PM

magnaflow(straight through design) is better than flowmaster(chambered/baffled design) in terms of flow, performance, and mpg. No exhaust will give you 4mpg, though. With an exhaust, intake, and tune you MIGHT get a couple mpg improvement.

gashauler 05-30-2012 06:30 AM

I put a flowmaster 40 and a K&N cai on and my mileage went from 13 city to just about 16 and from 17 to 20 on the highway at 67 mph.

Big Austinite Tx 06-10-2012 06:20 AM

Thanks guys. Guess i'll be doing the install here shortly.