DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.9L V6 Specifc Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Stalls while i press the gas (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113719)

JB10 05-28-2012 08:35 PM

Stalls while i press the gas

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 2x4..The truck drives fine for the most part except while i am at a red light and i press the gas the truck stalls sometimes but it always drops in rpms like its going to stall. It also does this in reverse sometimes. I have cleaned the IAC in and out. Any other ideas would be great. Thank you.

JB10 05-28-2012 08:38 PM

I also forgot to mention that when idling it is low around 4-500 rpms

namretsud 05-28-2012 10:27 PM

Will it rev at all as in higher rpms? If not it could be a plugged cat. A quick check is remove the upstream 02 sensors 1 at a time and see if behavior changes when you run it.

JB10 05-29-2012 08:21 AM

It wont when I am in neutral or park but when im driving and it doesnt stall then it does get up in rpms i will pull out a sensor and post if it has any effect thank you.

JB10 05-29-2012 09:27 AM

It had the same problem when the sensors were pulled. Is the next step removing the cat and unclogging it or do i need a brand new one?

namretsud 05-29-2012 11:19 AM

Same problem with the sensors out means your problem is upstream from the cat as when you pull the sensors out it relieves the pressure on a plugged cat. You may want to run some seafoam in you tank (most auto part stores carry this) and it could be one of many sensors. Have you had a code reader hooked up to it as there could be something there?

JB10 05-29-2012 11:25 AM

I actually have seafoam but i am a little sketchy about using it. But the check engine light did come on before for about 3 hrs then it went away and has not been back. And when i took it to get a code the computer did not register one. So I am out of luck there. I may try the seafoam and see where that gets me. The help is much appreciated.

JB10 05-29-2012 05:39 PM

Seafoam worked like a charm... I was a little worried about the proper way of putting it in but I obviously got it right lol. hopefully the problem doesnt emerge again anytime soon. Thank you for the help.

namretsud 05-29-2012 11:09 PM

For the next few fillup you may want to add seafoam every other tank to get the most out of it. You would be surprised what can build up over time and the seafoam seems to do a good job of cleaning out the carbon deposits and buildups.

JB10 06-03-2012 08:10 PM

It has started doing it again...and now i have a check engine with a code p0455 evap emission system leak(large)... I have checked all the hoses and they all seem to be good. How would i go about doing a homemade smoke test? And the seafoam worked could it be I just have that much crap in there? Or maybe the wrong type of hoses?