DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   2004 4.7 ram tapping (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113765)

ram041500 05-29-2012 01:01 PM

2004 4.7 ram tapping

I have a 2004 tapping issue from bottom of truck. I heard diffrent causes that making te the tapping noise. The performance of the truck is fine. I changed the oil through some lucas n. Anybody came up with a conclusion?

SuperiorStyles 05-29-2012 02:38 PM

The only way to know is by removing the oil pan and inspect rods and bearings and see if there is any problems. many things can cause the problem. The real question is going to be how much will it cost you and is it repairable .

brbrem 06-13-2012 10:40 PM

Check the exhaust manifold bolts. This happeded to me. Makes a tapping or ticking noise if one of the bolts break off. Very common problem.

msupra97 06-19-2012 09:24 PM

does it stay taping after it heats up might just be your oil suction tube inside the pan is clogged and not getting enough oil at first that was what was wrong with mine

cajun84 07-04-2012 12:08 AM

oh yes the 4.7 tick

I have an 04 with a 4.7...and it ticks. I bought the truck with 38k on it in 06....i ran valvoline durablend in it for a while and the tick started about 50k, I had the 7 year 70k warranty, so I took it in. I took it back 3 times and they told me it was fine, 2 different dealerships. It only ticks at startup and for a couple minutes at idle, but it keeps ticking longer as the milage increases. I changed over to the maxlife semi synthetic for a while, didn't help. I then went to Mobile 1 full synthetic. Each time, I left the plug out several hours to make sure it all drained. I have been running the Mobile since. Long story short, I would like to get rid of the tick. When I called Dodge, they told me it was designed to keep the oil on the bottom end at startup and the lifters freetap. They said this wouldn't hurt the lifters for the time that they are dry. Apparently they did this because in theory it is much easier to change the lifters than a worn bottom end. I am considering trying some lucas synthetic oil stabilizer but at about 1/2 of what they recommend. My goal is to just have a little oil cling to the lifters so they don't start dry. I have heard mixed reviews on it, but don't want to hurt the truck, so I'm asking here. This is by far the best truck I have ever had, I have 105K on it now and do alot of towing my boat, trailers, car haulers, etc. I don't run it hard, but I have never turned a wrench other than normal maintenance. More than I can say for the junk chevy trucks that I had. I will NEVER buy another 4x4 chevy, what good it a 4x4 that won't stay engaged!?! Oh and by the way my dad has the same basic truck but a chevy, and when we went to get rock, mine outweighs his by 1000 pounds!!! I will gladly eat 2 mpg to have a truck made of heavier metals! Did the lucas help yours???

vincesram1500 07-09-2012 05:43 PM

I have the same tick. Thought it was something with the truck. Two friends who work for Dodge say they don't hear it. Sure they just didn't want to be married to it. I too have only had to do maintance on my truck. Nothing major. It has served me well since 2005. I use Mobil 1 and have never had an issue. The tick is annoying but I'll continue to deal with it.

02 Ram 07-09-2012 05:52 PM

my 02 has a lifter tick. only on start up, then after its warmed up i dont hear it. it wont hurt anything. my new 430$ lifters in my IROC RT tick like crazy and the lifters in my old 8v daytona ticked like crazy but never any issues

bunky 07-11-2012 08:18 PM

I just posted this same thing in the general forum. I will look into what you all have posted. wish me luck.

arrownine1 07-12-2012 11:46 PM

We have been dealing with these ticking noises in the Dodge 4.7 ltr. Engines for several years. Everyone at my shop drives a 3rd. Gen Dodge Ram with a 4.7 and they all tick. We have repaired the tick on many of our customers vehicles but it always seems to end up being a temporary repair. What I can tell you is what it is. There are two hydraulic chain tensioners located on the front of the engine. For some reason they seem to loose prime and allow chain slap. While it isn't enough chain play under operation for the timing chains to jump, it is enough to cause a rattle at start up and a tapping at idle. Sludging accelerates the process and causes chain guide and tensioner guide wear as well because the chain tensioners allow oil to drain from a port in the front onto the guides for lubrication. We have tried replacing the entire timing set on several of them, and they quiet down for a month or two, but then the tick returns and upon removing the timing cover we find that the chain tensioners have partially failed again. On vehicle that have a Rattle at start up we have found that the the tensioners haven failed and the retaining locks for the foot on the hydraulic tensioners have sheared off internally. We have tried timing sets from O'rileys, Auto Zone and Napa. We have tried individual Hydraulic Tensioners from O'Rileys and Napa. Same result every time. Quiet operation every time for several months with a gradual return of the ticking. We are currently doing a head gasket on a 2004 Quad Cab that has had the tick for about two years. We will be using a Mopar Timing Set on this vehicle and have hope that this will fare better than the aftermarket components. Will post an update at a later time.

Pharaoh9 07-20-2012 09:32 AM

I seem to have the same "Tick" but it goes away after a min or two in my '05. I'll keep watching the forums to see if there is a Fix.

Dave