DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Gas Mileage not adding up (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114060)

ouch1234 06-02-2012 11:25 AM

Gas Mileage not adding up

Anyone else have any complaints about the Hemi not adding up to the manufactures 14/19 mpg on their Ram 4x4 ? I'm a pretty soft footed driver these days and I'm only getting around 12.3 mpg around town. Best I've seen on the highway is about 16.3 mpg. Maybe I'm reading the instrument panel wrong, but I sure haven't seen any 14/19 mpg yet on my truck. My truck only has around 4k on it.

robplatt 06-02-2012 11:51 AM

I have an 11 Laramie as well, 14000 miles. At sea level I get around 15 in town, and around 19 on the freeway (i think).... Right now mine is in the shop and I have an 2012 ST for a rental that is getting around 18 in town and 22 on the freeway. Same amount of miles, both are QC 4x4. I'm trying to compare notes between the trucks to figure out why such a big difference. Besides the trim, and center console, the only thing that really stands out is the wheels. The rims are 17" on the ST, and my laramie's are 20". Not sure what else is different besides the auto 4x4 on the laramie.

My point is, it's confusing as all hell to me as well. And right now I noticed a big difference between a rental, and mine.

Hogking 06-02-2012 11:57 AM

I used to be anal about always checking my mpg. I think i'm getting in the low teens....but I just don't care anymore. I don't even check it anymore. I got over 5k miles on my truck and since day-one it has ran perfect! I mean it runs great! I have no complaints about this truck. Besides, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. Enjoy it!

EVS1 06-02-2012 01:55 PM

Ram quad cab with hemi and 20" wheels. I can knock down 18-19 mpg pretty easy around here, (WV), went to Cinncinnatti area last fall and got 21 on the trip. When we went to Florida in January I had great expectations of 21-22mpg but it seemed the further south we went the worse gas mileage we got. 16-17 was the best down there and when we came back north we got back into the high teens. All I can figure was it was the gas quality between here and there.

hemi4life 06-02-2012 03:27 PM

Run 89 octane. It makes a difference. In city don't expect good mileage plane and simple. If ur getting 12+ MPG with all the starting and stopping involved in city driving I wouldn't complain. Highway 16-20 is very achievable depending on driving conditions and how fast ur going. 90 km is best mileage possible I have noticed. 110ish I think is 65 MPH is about best highway speed for ur MPG. Hope this helps but 89 for sure makes a difference.

GTyankee 06-02-2012 04:10 PM

we all now have the Summer Blend gasoline in our vehicles, unless you don't drive yours much.
You should be getting better mileage now, Winter Blend has a lot of Butane in it & any gas that is in your vehicle or spare gas cans, goes bad quickly, it also evaporates faster

When you get more miles on your Ram, your mileage will improve
I have 65,000 miles on my 2 wheel drive, i always have 1,000 pounds of extra tools, etc. in my Ram QC & i get 17.4 MPG, computer calculated on the highway

I don't use DRIVE in town, i believe that i get better mileage that way & i don't have the MDS kicking in & out all the time, it makes that strange noise when it kicks in at 28 mph
(it sounds like an old, bean eating, beer drinking, fat guy passing gas)

MF2000 06-03-2012 10:27 PM

If you are using the EVIC to get your mpg numbers versus calculating them yourself, then that is misleading. I have seen as much as 2mpg variance between what the readour says versus calculating them myself.

I also agree with the above comments as I have noticed about a 2mpg difference with the new summer bland of gas. If you use 100% gas without ethanol you will see an improvement in mpg too.

PaulMys 06-08-2012 09:06 PM

Yeah, EVIC is just a rough estimate. I'm light-footed too, and I just did it this way: Filled up,(26 gal. tank in reg. cab), drove as close to empty as I dared, had traveled 391 miles. 390 Divided by 26? 15 Mph (all my driving is around town).