DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Front end conversion (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114109)

C-Moore 06-02-2012 09:42 PM

Front end conversion

Hey i was talking to a guy who had found a couversion kit for the steering components ona 03 to 05 ram 2500 that changes the original 3 point turning system, to a 2 point turning system like on a ford. supposidly th kit can be easily modifyed to fit the 2001 style which would be great because i cant seem to keep the front end parts in the truck.
for the rocord i have the after market stearing box support and the upgraded adjustable track bar withy drop pitman arm, and my truck has a 5.5 BDS suspension lift. if any one has done this kit id love some info on it

Okiespaniels 06-02-2012 11:48 PM

Actually there are two opportunities...

You can use the '08.5 and up steering or the 98-99 3500 steering.
Either kit is a bolt in and will greatly improve steering response and elminate almost all bump steer. This is because toe in doesn't change as your suspension cycles and if you lift your truck you'll not need to reset your toe.

Okiespaniels 06-02-2012 11:54 PM

Here's a pic of the 98 system installed on my truck. The system doesn't come set up for a stabilizer bracket because it's pretty stable without one!
I fabbed one up anyway...

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...Bilstien_2.JPG

I have the Moog part numbers for your truck if you want them.

C-Moore 06-04-2012 10:54 AM

WoW! I am impressed!
i wasn't sure what to expect when i joined this site but wow!
i live in a place where lots of shops around town think they know what there doing when it comes to this stuff but i always end up spending money and having poor results.
you cay both the newer version and the the older version you have are both bolt on? with no modification? dont forget now that i have a 5.5in BDS lift kit.

Okiespaniels 06-05-2012 11:48 PM

I have almost 5 inches of lift (depending on the wind and who's arse is sitting in the truck) and can go another couple inches before steering angles get a bit steep.

C-Moore 06-06-2012 12:08 PM

Right on, So what made you go with the older version?
and yea i would like to kno where i could get a lead on the parts. you say that no modifications need to be done to the kit or your truck to make the kit fit?

Okiespaniels 06-06-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Moore (Post 815438)
Right on, So what made you go with the older version?
and yea i would like to kno where i could get a lead on the parts. you say that no modifications need to be done to the kit or your truck to make the kit fit?

The older stuff was readily availible and had a good rep...people have been installing it on trucks since the early 2000's when somebody on another forum discovered the systems interchanged. This was long before 4th gen trucks were around!
I didn't know about the 08.5 until recently. I'm told the newer pieces may require trimming on certain factory rims. I don't want to grind on any TREs. I'm told the 08 system is a bit larger but haven't researched it.

Otherwise the older parts are a bolt in on an '01. I run factory 16s on a 1500 with no issues.

I believe this is the correct parts list (Moog #s) for the 98.5 for an "01. On 1999 and earlier trucks the TRE at the pitman arm is different.

ES3527 TRE to pitman
ES 2012S adj sleeve
ES3498S """
ES 3496
DS 1456
DS 1459

volkenant 09-24-2013 07:17 AM

so will this work on a 1500?

jeepfan93 09-24-2013 08:56 AM

Interesting, anyone have a an in depth link?

Howells 09-29-2013 11:54 PM

I am also running the 98 hd steering on my 1500. It is a good upgrade. I was going to do the newer style but at the time Noone could give me an answer if it was bolt on and I am still unsure. Go with what works.