DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   msd ignition (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114206)

igreer 06-04-2012 12:47 AM

msd ignition

i want to upgrade my ignition system...if i install this coil...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8203/ ......will i have to upgrade other things... spark plug wires distributor plugs etc...thanks:)
1988 w100

RC DuDe 06-05-2012 02:16 AM

What are you trying to achieve? If everything is in good working order and you just replace the coil you don't have to replace other things.

igreer 06-08-2012 12:10 AM

im going for a high performance ignition so if i out in a high performance coil should i do high performance wires and plugs to

CdnoilRAM 06-08-2012 12:14 AM

If you do a coil, you'll want to upgrade to a good set of wires and distributor cap. I highly recommend the Taylor wires and I'm blanking on the name of the cap I was running on my old Dak R/T

RC DuDe 06-08-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igreer (Post 816575)
im going for a high performance ignition so if i out in a high performance coil should i do high performance wires and plugs to

The reason I asked what you were trying to acheive is because the stock system is quite capable of handling many mods unless you're boosting and or spraying.

Is the truck needing a tune up anyway? Have you done any other mods?

igreer 06-09-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC DuDe (Post 816678)
The reason I asked what you were trying to acheive is because the stock system is quite capable of handling many mods unless you're boosting and or spraying.

Is the truck needing a tune up anyway? Have you done any other mods?

there isn't any mods to the engine...tune up probably not

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 816583)
If you do a coil, you'll want to upgrade to a good set of wires and distributor cap. I highly recommend the Taylor wires and I'm blanking on the name of the cap I was running on my old Dak R/T

the distributor cap is fairly new although its nothing special....with those upgrades though how much more power will i get?

RC DuDe 06-09-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igreer (Post 817516)
there isn't any mods to the engine...tune up probably not

the distributor cap is fairly new although its nothing special....with those upgrades though how much more power will i get?

I'd say save your money unless you were dressing up the engine bay. If you're looking for power start somewhere else. Just depends on your budget and how far you want to take it. This upgrade will not give you any HP increase.

igreer 06-14-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC DuDe (Post 817537)
I'd say save your money unless you were dressing up the engine bay. If you're looking for power start somewhere else. Just depends on your budget and how far you want to take it. This upgrade will not give you any HP increase.

ok no HP...im learning not to trust what manufactures and websites say but some advertise that you will get an increase with plugs wires and stuff is this true?

countrygirl17522 08-06-2012 10:47 PM

I did a tune up on my 83 w150 5.2 I put a blaster 2 that I already had in it with msd cap rotor wires and champion plugs. I quickly jumped up 4mpg. A blessing for an old carbuerated 8! (This is when I found out the idiot who tuned it up before I bought it had 2 different heat range spark plugs in) I've always liked the msd brand never let me down

Oldy but goodie 08-24-2012 10:30 PM

A good tuneup is always a good idea and if it origional plugs it probably could use one. It probably has origional wires also. Quality products insure that you will have a nice running and easy starting truck. better fuel milage and sweeter sounds. If you go with free breathng intake and exhaust.