DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Here’s some MPG numbers to look at... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114311)

wvmtb 06-05-2012 12:10 PM

Here’s some MPG numbers to look at...

I’ve had my truck for almost a year now and I’ve been tracking my MPG since I bought it last July.

Before any mods I got 14.0 mpg recorded from the first 1919 miles.

Replaced muffler with a 14” Magnaflow and it went down to 12.6 for the following 4503 miles.

Then Installed a CAI from K&N and now I am averaging 12.7 from the next 1613 miles.

Could it be that the muffler hurt my MPG’s. Or maybe it could be that before the muffler I have less than 2k miles that I averaged and after the mods I have just over 6k miles recorded. It could also be due to the fact that the first 2k miles were in the summer. Winter months hurt my MPG’s due to warming the truck up in the mornings before work. But I only warm it up for a few minutes so I don’t see that really being a big factor.

I never replaced either of those thinking I would get better MPG’s but I didn’t expect to go down that much.

muliefever 06-05-2012 12:44 PM

honestly i would say it's your right foot! From my experience we like the sound a little more ;) So we give it more gas.

kellyfj10 06-05-2012 12:45 PM

It could also be the additives that they put in the gas in the winter. I know that in the winter I get 2-2.5 mpg less then in the summer. Also could be the colder air. The engines like cooler air 60 degrees and up but they don't like freezing air. At least that is what I have been told.

kellyfj10 06-05-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muliefever (Post 814658)
honestly i would say it's your right foot! From my experience we like the sound a little more ;) So we give it more gas.

That could also be it. Maybe you are driving a little more aggressive then you did when you first got it.

sporty11 06-05-2012 12:47 PM

i had installed Afe stage 2 intake and 14" magnaflow last summer, was averaging 17.5 mpg until a few weeks ago, then installed the Jet Performance Stage 2 module and run 91 octane, now getting 20 mpg at highways speeds between 70 - 80 mph!

rdsabin 06-05-2012 12:58 PM

I run AIRAID CAI and predator 91 octane tune and average 18 if I travel 70 -75, if I travel 60 - 65 I can get 21 mpg. I also run a magnaflow mufflex 24" in the exhaust.

I forgot to state that I turned off the MDS with the predator also.

wvmtb 06-05-2012 01:24 PM

I think the "right foot" theory and the more aggressive driving might be the key factors. I try my best to not drive aggressively but it happens on occasion when I want to hear what's under the hood. I drive mostly city miles and don't get many miles on the highway.
I recently hauled my camper a couple hundred miles with my neighbor that also has a Ram 1500 but with no mods and his camper is about 2k lbs heavier than mine. We traveled together and ended up getting about the same mpg's. After the trip he removed his y-pipe and put duals all the way out with 2 generic mufflers (a magnaflow knock off). I'm interested in seeing what happens to his gas mileage
The best I've ever done on a tank of gas since I've had the truck was 16.5 mpg's.

BlackHemI 06-05-2012 03:55 PM

those mods will increase your mpg anywhere from 1-4 mpg, its your foot. i was getting 11.2 stock in my 08, i replaced the muffler and i get 13 now.

NWRQC 06-06-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyfj10 (Post 814661)
It could also be the additives that they put in the gas in the winter. I know that in the winter I get 2-2.5 mpg less then in the summer. Also could be the colder air. The engines like cooler air 60 degrees and up but they don't like freezing air. At least that is what I have been told.

That is correct that you will worse fuel economy in the winter due to the winter grade fuel. Longer warm-ups will also affect your overall fuel economy.
Cooler air = more dense air which = more power which won't decrease your fuel economy.