DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sway bar questions????? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114399)

Zedison 06-06-2012 05:13 PM

Sway bar questions?????

Hey guys i am new on here and was wanting some info on sway bars for my 2012 r/t i have already lowered it 2/4 and have done a muffler delete i have seen hellwig sway bars but wondered about others thanks

GTyankee 06-06-2012 05:19 PM

Welcome to the RamforumZ

if you look up the TV show GEARS, Stacy David did up a Ram ST Express, that he called the Drag n Wagon.
He added Sway Bars to it & i believe he used Hellwigs
http://staceydavid.com/projects/drag-n-wagon

Zedison 06-06-2012 05:25 PM

Yeah i have seen that before i was just curious how much they helped and if anyone else made any for these trucks thanks

RC DuDe 06-07-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedison (Post 815636)
Yeah i have seen that before i was just curious how much they helped and if anyone else made any for these trucks thanks

I personally feel upgrading or adding the sway bar is your best bang for your buck. Vehicles are intentionally designed from the manufacturer to have under steer. Adding a rear bar or upgrading to a larger than factory size will help neutralize under steer. Addco 1'', Hellwig 1 1/8'' and BellTech 13/16 are a few that make them. Don't quote me on sizes I'm going off memory because I'm in the market for one too. I'm hoping to find an adjustable one.

After lowering are you experiencing a side to side or twisting type of bounce?

Ramfd 06-07-2012 03:20 AM

I have an 09 QC with a belltech 2/4kit, I HAVE noticed a bit of side to side bounce when hitting bumps. I think it is from the rear track bar being under some extra stress. the rear axle on my truck shifted to the passenger side by about 7/16 of an inch. thus putting side to side stress on the track bar. every time you hit a bump the axle tries to move back to the correct neutral position. I wish I could find a bracket that would correct the track bar shift.

RC DuDe 06-07-2012 03:56 AM

Ramfd I had that problem before. I know it's an issue but I'm really surprised how few complain or recognize it. Maybe recognize it is not the right word but either way McGaughy is the only one I know of who includes the bracket to correct the panhard rod angle but won't sell it separately.

I had a bracket custom fabricated to correct the angle and installed an adjustable rod to fine tune the shift. I have posted pictures of that mod somewhere here. The rod should be made parallel to the ground but never more than 10% of the overall length difference in mounting heights.

Zedison 06-07-2012 10:37 AM

i have the side to side issue also i am in the process of trying to make a fully adjustable 4-link and track bar but time has not allowed i like the way my truck handles in the corners but i just want it better. im gonna go ahead and order the hellwigs tonight and ill let yall know how they do.

RC DuDe 06-07-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedison (Post 816078)
i have the side to side issue also i am in the process of trying to make a fully adjustable 4-link and track bar.

That would be sweet. I thought about doing the same until I was finally able to dial it in. Keep us posted.

darnit 06-12-2012 12:45 AM

I have a hellwig swaybar on my truck it has three settings and it was worth every penny. My truck handles way nicer. If you like to go fast its the first mod for your truck you should spend money on. I set mine on the stiffest setting. If i was building my truck from scatch again its the first thing i would buy for it.

Zedison 06-12-2012 08:38 PM

i had a work issue come up and havnt had time to order mine but i think the hellwig is the way to go