DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   20" Crome Clad Wheels - Tarnishing issue. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114806)

dubsteve 06-12-2012 01:39 PM

20" Crome Clad Wheels - Tarnishing issue.

I have the 20" chrome clad wheels that have now been replaced twice by Dodge due to tarnishing. (Basically the wheels still look dirty when clean, and you cannot get them to clean up.)

Has anyone else had this issue?

Dodge is now refusing to anything about this, even though I have had them replaced twice.

SHADCHA 06-12-2012 02:05 PM

I am starting to notice what looks like tarnish on one chrome clad wheel, but I am more than certain that Chrysler will not replace. They are becoming very stringent on replacement parts and how much we as the consumer have to basically complain to them about needing things replaced. I say take it into the dealer tell them what is going on, I am in shock that they already replaced twice, they will refuse to replace your wheels, but never know without asking. Good luck.

GTyankee 06-12-2012 02:25 PM

i had my chrome clads on for about 2 1/2 years, they shine on the part that is normally seen, almost as good as they did when i brought it home, i replaced them with after markets, i just wanted a change

I was actually pleasantly surprised that the Chinese chrome clads lasted that long

What cleaner & polish did you use on them?
I improperly used EAGLE ONE on a set of Real Chrome Rims, back in the late 1970s, they looked like crap

RamManiac 06-12-2012 03:05 PM

1. What do you use to keep them polished?
2. Did you replace the wheels or the clads?
3. Can the clads be removed without destroying them?

dubsteve 06-12-2012 04:13 PM

After the second time, I have just been using car wash shampoo only, knowing that there was a problem. But this has not worked obviously.
When they replaced them the first time, the had to replace all chrome on the vehicle, bumpers, mirror caps, badges. It was all rusting and assumed a 1 time issue.
Then after the winter season in California... I know, particularly harsh, they started tarnishing again. So again they were replaced. At this point is when I stopped using products on them, so that Chrysler could not blame my care of the wheels.....

Because this is 'Fake' chrome there is no way I can use any type of chrome cleaner... any suggestions people?

GTyankee 06-12-2012 05:02 PM

I went to the AUTOGEEK website, they are usually quite good
they did not exactly cover CHROME CLAD rims, but i did see something quite useful, they say to wash your fender wells & tires & rims BEFORE washing your vehicle, this is to get rid of brake dust mostly

then i went to this website & it mentions WHITE VINEGAR in the water, it takes you through it step by step
http://www.ehow.com/how_7598824_clea...ad-wheels.html

Good Luck

mikek 06-13-2012 01:05 AM

Do you park your truck in a garage, if so do you store any fertalizer in the garage?

Jayincali 06-13-2012 06:58 PM

I purchased a set of chrome clads from a member on another forum, had them on the truck for a week, cleaned them once before selling and buying the R/T wheels. I noticed there was some brake dust stains/pits/tarnish inbetween the spokes and in the corners. I used Dawn dish soap (added more than normal) and a wheel brush and gave them a real good cleaning. Removed 98% of the brake stains/pitting/tarnish. After that a quick wipe down with some chrome cleaner polish and they looked brand new. Once you clean your wheels you should seal them with a wheel polish/sealant or a coat of wax. Might wear off pretty quick due to the heat and wheel cleaning products, but should last 3-4 weeks. Makes cleaning way easier, then just reapply after each wash.

SoDakMac 06-13-2012 10:43 PM

I had a problem with my wheels showing a reddish color in the small slot areas where the spokes meet the outside rim. The “chrome” had worn off or whatever. I had the wheels replaced and the new ones (about 6 months old) show none of the problem signs I had before.

RammD 07-24-2012 02:07 PM

I have had no issues with my chrome clad wheels and i've had my Ram for over 2 years. Granted, I take care of my truck and never go lengthy periods of time without a major wash and detail. I use Meguiar's Quik (spelled that way) wheel detailer AFTER washing and using a Wheel Brush with soap on the wheels. After the Wheels dry, I spray the Meguiar's quik wheel detailer on and wipe with a microfiber cloth and the Wheels don't just shine..they GLEAM! The Quik wheel detailer didn't make it into all the markets from what Meguiar's told me and they didn't get the sales from the product they hoped so they actually discontinued the product about a year ago. I was fortunate to of found a bunch of them at a local Big Lots a couple of years ago and got like 8 bottles so I'll have enough for the next couple of years.

The good news is that per Meguiar's their NXT SPEED DETAILER or their ultimate quik detailer will work equally as well..and those products are incredibly popular so you can get them and detail your entire truck from top to bottom (including the wheels) with them.