DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Electronic Throttle Control light lights up (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114921)

shadango 06-13-2012 06:35 PM

Electronic Throttle Control light lights up

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue (non issue) -

When i park my truck, i have to park on a gravel hill and squeeze between two stationary objects...its a tight fit but it makes it.....I have to use 4wd lock.

As I go up the hill backwards, I feather the gas and brake together as I look in the left side mirror, flip it in to pass the object, then flip it back out.....then proceed to the top of the hill.

I have noticed that at the point where I am probably giving it gas and brake at the same time (just as I pass the stationary objects on either side, the red dash light listed as the 'Electronic Throttle control" light illuminates and the truck loses power and stops in its tracks for a second. i let off the gas and it goes out and is fine.

Not sure if its the combination of gas and brake in reverse in 4WD that is the issue or of there is a problem.....I have not had the light come on in any other driving,......and I have done no real 4x4ing yet.....

Any thoughts?

jacobson.s 06-13-2012 10:09 PM

If you hold the brake and gas together that light comes on. I remember doing this in my 2005 ram 1500 (not sure what I was doing). And I have no idea why.

captainchubbzz 06-14-2012 01:29 AM

That is really cool! I would bet that this is a failsafe programmed into the ETC to release when the brake is applied. Hopefully Toyota is taking notes! LOL!!

shadango 06-14-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainchubbzz (Post 820590)
That is really cool! I would bet that this is a failsafe programmed into the ETC to release when the brake is applied. Hopefully Toyota is taking notes! LOL!!

Yeah, great unless you wan to feather/overlap the brake and gas for maneuvers like I am doing...... :4-dontknow:

Not sure if this is the answer or not though........

Not that I am one to do it, but a few people here have talked about doing a burnout.....to do that, you have to stand on the brakes and hit the gas......I dont recall anyone saying that light came on......

Mountie 06-14-2012 10:05 AM

Can it be something to do with the hill assist thang?

Pete

shadango 06-14-2012 11:44 AM

Maybe.....and I am confusing it by also braking?

Dealer tells me it is normal and the way it works.....that I am creating the code by having the throttle and brake pressed at the same time.

Ok, but I asked him what the guys who are doing burnouts are doing to not have the issue, and no reply back yet.

snrusnak 06-14-2012 12:17 PM

Most likely it is because the tires are spinning(you said you are on gravel, in reverse). The traction control will cut the throttle via electronic throttle control(light comes on) and may also engage ABS if needed(probably not at that speed) if any wheel spin is detected.

I'd bet it's that, not due to overlapping brake and gas pedal. I never paid much attention when power braking my truck but don't think the light comes on...I do have TC off though.

Do you have TC on or off?

Also, with 4x4, you can completely disable TC in 4x4 mode, not just the partial disable by pushing the button.

shadango 06-14-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 820810)
Most likely it is because the tires are spinning(you said you are on gravel, in reverse). The traction control will cut the throttle via electronic throttle control(light comes on) and may also engage ABS if needed(probably not at that speed) if any wheel spin is detected.

I'd bet it's that, not due to overlapping brake and gas pedal. I never paid much attention when power braking my truck but don't think the light comes on...I do have TC off though.

Do you have TC on or off?

Also, with 4x4, you can completely disable TC in 4x4 mode, not just the partial disable by pushing the button.

Pretty sure I recall that the "TC off" light is on when its in 4x4 on my truck.....

I am not really spinning at all......the reason I am power braking is to prevent the spin......when the light comes on (and the engine power is cut to nothing) I am not spinning.....actually was moving backwards just fine and then the truck just stops abruptly....I kept thinking it was a divot or hole in the gravel since that is almost how abrupt it feels... but found it was not....

snrusnak 06-14-2012 12:38 PM

Well my point was if the tire slips for a millisecond on the gravel(which would be very hard to notice) it would cut throttle. I doubt you'd feel the tire spin say 2 inches then get traction again, and by that time throttle would be cut.

Like in the rain if I burn out the throttle will cut immediately, then I get traction again, and if I keep the pedal down it takes about 3 or 4 seconds for it to allow throttle opening again. And it seems to also ease into throttle, not slam back to where I have the pedal.

Just another possibility is all. Try doing it without braking see if it does the same thing.

snrusnak 06-14-2012 12:39 PM

You could also try going into 100% TC disabled mode. If you were in that mode the light and it's function should be completely inoperable.