DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   2012 Ram Express "shake" when coming to or at a stop (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=114944)

lbram81 06-13-2012 10:32 PM

2012 Ram Express "shake" when coming to or at a stop

Hello,

Just purchased a 2012 1500 Express w/ Hemi. Truck is amazing but have one question.

It has 177 miles on it. When I come to a stop (red light, stop sign) I get a fast, brief shake, nothing violent just a enough to feel it. Sounds as if the transmission is shifting or doing some kind of action. I have read things on the internet that this is somewhat normal but I would like to hear that from ram owners before I believe it. My dealer says it is a "break in" thing and not to panic. They said they would plug it in to see if any updates are needed but I really don't want to mess with the truck if this is normal. an anyone hear verify this on their trucks?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply's.

Jchaney579 06-13-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbram81 (Post 820445)
Hello,

Just purchased a 2012 1500 Express w/ Hemi. Truck is amazing but have one question.

It has 177 miles on it. When I come to a stop (red light, stop sign) I get a fast, brief shake, nothing violent just a enough to feel it. Sounds as if the transmission is shifting or doing some kind of action. I have read things on the internet that this is somewhat normal but I would like to hear that from ram owners before I believe it. My dealer says it is a "break in" thing and not to panic. They said they would plug it in to see if any updates are needed but I really don't want to mess with the truck if this is normal. an anyone hear verify this on their trucks?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply's.

These trucks are all computer based now. A 177 miles is to little to be making ANY judgement at this point and time. As the computer is learning EVERYTHING such as shift points etc. After 1500 or so miles of driving in your normal style then come back and see if it is still there. (:

I never noticed it on my ram. Then again I am not one to think every little thing is a problem :P :LOL:

Congrats on your new truck!

htaylor 06-13-2012 10:49 PM

Does your truck have the 32 Gallon Fuel Tank, or the 26 Gallon?

lbram81 06-13-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess what really makes me nervous is all the people that told me to "stay away from Dodge". I've heard the transmissions on the Rams go fast, all kinds of squeaks and rattles, blah,blah,blah....... I put that all to the side and bought it anyways. Ram wouldnt back it with a 100k mile powertrain warranty if the transmissions where falling like fly's. I guess you have your loyal Ford and Chevy guys that have to throw their shots in. Funny thing is when I was at dealer looking at mine i talked to a guy that was trading in his 1997 Ram for a new one, that should tell you something.

lbram81 06-13-2012 10:56 PM

htaylor it has the 32 gallon tank.

brad12kx 06-13-2012 11:07 PM

Like Jchaney579 indicated, it's way too soon to be adjusting anything.....unless it's undrivable. The computer is learning how to start the engine, how to keep it running, how to accelerate and how to best respond to the 'nut' behind the wheel. LOL

The truck I drive right now is nothing at all like the truck I bought 2 years ago. The only thing it shares is the serial number and the driver. :)

Enjoy your truck and don't be surprised when all of a sudden it 'feels' different. Different in a good way. That change will happen more then once in the first 15K miles.

Jchaney579 06-13-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbram81 (Post 820468)
htaylor it has the 32 gallon tank.

AHHHHHH! Darn! That might be your problem right there... Then again it might not be. DON'T KNOW WHO! But the person who was in charge of designing the 32 gal tank thought it would be cute to not put baffles in it. When the tank is say half full and you come to a more than normal or a bit faster stop the fuel will slosh forward with nothing stopping it. Next time you have 3/4s a tank or half a tank go out and hit 50mph then come to a nice fast stop *On a safe closed road* and listen to hear the fuel slosh forward. You can also feel it. Many threads on this forum about the 32 gallons not having baffles to stop the fuel from sloshing forward when stopping...

htaylor 06-13-2012 11:31 PM

Here's the thread about the lack of fuel tank baffles in the 32 gallon tanks

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109836

lbram81 06-14-2012 11:11 AM

Wow thanks for the reply's!

I have come across many conversations about the 32 gallon tanks. I would definitely not rule it out, but as of today it feels more mechanical. You guys are right though, 180 miles is way to early to hit the panic button. Im going to leave it alone and see if it goes away by around 5k miles. If anyone does or has experienced this please post so we can all learn something new. Hopefully the cause and fix.

MoparDude 06-14-2012 11:21 AM

I agree with many prior posts here, the truck will completely change its characteristics as it adjusts to your driving habits. The first 500miles I absolutely babied my truck and it wanted to then perform like that, rather sluggish and sloppy, indecisive shifting. I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes, reconnected it and then put it through its paces. It drives and shifts amazing now.

Give it time... These are very high tech trucks!